Complete the following questions for each assigned chapter of Kennedy. Handwrite your response sentences for each question.
Chapter 1: New World Beginnings, 33,000 B.C. –A.D. 1769
1. How did the geographic setting of North America – including its relation to Asia, Europe, and Africa – affect its subsequent history?
2. What were the common characteristics of all Indian cultures in the New World, and what were the important differences among them?
3. What fundamental factors drew the Europeans to the exploration, conquest, and settlement of the New World?
4. What was the impact on the Indians, Europeans, and Africans when each of their previously separated worlds “collided” with one another?
5. Should the European encounter with the Indian peoples of the Americas be understood primarily as a story of conquest and exploitation, or as one of mutual cultural encounter that brought beneficial as well as tragic results for both?
Chapter 2: The Planting of English America, 1500-1733
1. What were the diverse purposes of England’s American colonies and how were those purposes altered in the early years of settlement?
2. What features were common to all of England’s southern colonies, and what features were peculiar to each one?
3. How did the interaction and conflict between English settlers and Indians affect both parties, and contribute to developments that neither group sought?
4. How did the search for a viable labor force affect the development of the southern colonies? What was the role of African American slavery in the early colonial settlements? Why were two southern colonies initially resistant to slavery?
5. Which was the most important factor shaping the development of England’s southern colonies in the 17th century: Indian relations, the one-crop plantation economy, or slavery? Explain and support your...