American Constitutions and the Critical Period 1777-1789
* African Americans?
* Free populations
* 5k blacks fought in the war for Patriots
* 20k for Loyalists
* Coverture- a woman loses legal identity after marriage, protected under her husband’s name * Feme covert
* Rights? Restrictions?
* Feme sole- unmarried woman, legal rights
* “recipients, rather than dispensers of justice” * yet, until 1807 woman could vote in NJ
* Decline of indentured servants by the 1830’s
* Price of tickets across the Atlantic declined, continued cheap labor of slaves * “anti-revolutionary”?
* Jefferson sold his servant to Madison in 1809
Articles of Confederation (1777-1789)
* First constitution of the United States
* Created during the crisis of war
* How might this have influenced the A. of C?
* Why was it important to have a Constitution in 1777?
* It will help them organize
* To show legitimacy to the colonists and other countries * Long term plan for the colonies
Examining the Articles
* What issues concerned the congress?
* Article IV
* Balance of power
* Article V
* Congress isn’t to be represented by no less than 2 people from each state, and no more than 7. Only 1 unifying vote per state. Representation and fear of Monarchy * Article VI
* The states trying to break off and make individual treaties with other countries. States cannot band together to work as an independent nation. The states cannot keep weapons or militia from the government in times of need. States cannot wage war on one another. Fear of division.
Articles of Confederation
* Loose alliance of independent states
* Each state sent representatives, one vote
* 9 of the 13 states had to agree on a bill to pass...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document