Respond to each of the 17 statements using the following rating scale: 1 = Strongly disagree
2 = Moderately disagree
3 = Slightly disagree
4 = Neither agree or disagree
5 = Slightly agree
6 = Moderately agree
7 = Strongly agree
1. I am constantly on the lookout for new ways to improve my life. 2. I feel driven to make a difference in my community, and maybe the world. 3. I tend to let others take the initiative to start new projects. 4. Wherever I have been, I have been a powerful force for constructive change. 5. I enjoy facing and overcoming obstacles to my ideas.
6. Nothing is more exciting than seeing my ideas turn into reality. 7. If I see something I don’t like, I fix it.
8. No matter what the odds, if I believe in something I will make it happen. 9. I love being a champion for my ideas, even against others’ opposition. 10. I excel at identifying opportunities.
11. I am always looking for better ways to do things.
12. If I believe in an idea, no obstacle will prevent me from making it happen. 13. I love to challenge the status quo.
14. When I have a problem, I tackle it head-on.
15. I am great at turning problems into opportunities.
16. I can spot a good opportunity long before others can. 17. If I see someone in trouble, I help out in any way I can.
Source: T.S. Bateman and J.M. Crant, “The Proactive Component of Organizational Behavior: A Measure and Correlates,” Journal of Organizational Behavior, March 1993, pp. 10o3-18; and J.M. Crant, “The Proactive Personality Scale as a Predictor of Entrepreneurial Intentions,” Journal of Small Business Management, July 1996, pp. 42-49.
Your total score will range between 17 and 119. The score was calculated by adding your responses to all statements except item 3 and then adding the reverse score for item 3. Your Proactive Personality Score is: _____