AP English 12
Summer Reading – All Souls by Patrick MacDonald
1. Identify the setting and mood of the opening scene and discuss how this mood is established. Also, explain the initial conflict as it is introduced in the beginning of the story.
2. Construct a list of unfamiliar vocabulary words and take time to research and record the correct definitions.
Busing – The transportation of schoolchildren, by bus, to schools in other neighbourhoods in order to alleviate social inequalities or to achieve racial integration
3. Were you able to make an accurate prediction about something that happened later in the story? On what did you base your prediction?
4. If you could ask the author or characters any questions, what would you want to know? 5. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?
6. Select and record five passages or quotations that you consider most important and tell why they are significant to the selection.
7. Do you agree or disagree with the decisions that certain characters make? 8. What important themes does this book discuss? How are they developed? 9. Does this book remind you of any experiences in your own life? In what ways can you relate to the characters or themes presented in the book?
10. Does this book remind you of any other books you’ve read? In what ways are the stories similar and/or different?
11. What bothers you about this book? What bothers you about certain characters?
What bothers me most about this book is the whole issue of “busing”. People should have the right to live wherever they choose, without fear or favor from the government and other officials. No race, creed or social group should be forced to live or go to school in a government designated place.
12. How has reading this book changed your opinion of a certain person or topic?
13. What life lessons can you learn from reading this book?
14. What about the plot?...