• Establishment of schools on the lines economic and social background (corporate schools for the rich, English Medium schools for the Middle class families and government schools for the people of lower standards). • Linear thinking assuming that engineering an medicine courses are the ultimate. • Disappearance of childhood rote memory replaces joyful learning. • Exam oriented study.
• Schools have turned into agencies that provide guidance only for exams. • Commercialization of Education.
• Disparity between aims and methodology.
• Vagueness on expectations and abilities.
• Assumption of confining education to classroom.
• Repulsion towards new methods.
• Lack of coordination between society, school and administration, not catering to the needs of the society. • Development of passivity.
• No scope for the enrichment of cognitive resources of the child such as questioning, observation, inquisitiveness and expression. • Diminishing of values, cooperation collaboration patience, self-confidence, discretion and rational thinking. • Absence of human values, individual values and social values. • Mechanization of the child’s mind by the current education system. • Focus only on enrollment.
• No stress on quality education.
• Inequality, lack of freedom, negligence and irresponsibility. • Inferior training programmes, monotonous teaching training, training institutes and universities far away from the real world and lack of psychological element in education. • School is just information centre and exam centre.
• Laborious Learning and intolerable schools.
• Dumping of monotonous syllabus into lower levels in the name of curriculum revision. • Education promoting dependability, not self-confidence.
• Gulf between labour and intelligence.
• Children of the poor engaged in physical work whereas children of the rich capture power and administration. • Teacher-centered classes and only text books provide true knowledge. • Satisfying the officials and lack of decision making.
• Disbelief among the teachers, the management and the society. • Lack of resources and lack of utilizing the resources available. • Completing the syllabus in time is the ultimate goal.
• No idea of the aims and objectives of present education. • Lack of awareness of the aims of education.
• The consequences of the present system.
• The role of the school, the teachers and the society.
THE PROPOSED AIMS
• Education should provide foresight and proper guidance.
• Education is an instrument to achieve democracy, social equality and justice. • Thoughtfulness and independent work with values.
• Concern for the others.
• Learning how to learn and updating what is learnt.
• Creative responses, creative thinking and implementing the new knowledge in various situations. • School should promote social awareness and human relations. • School as the resource centre comprising books for reference, books for the young, books for the children, etc) • Laboratories equipped with all materials and apparatuses. • Qualitative education aiming at educational goals.
• Teacher as social volunteer.
• Reformation in evaluation system so that the abilities of the children are assessed. • Protection of environment, natural resources reducing wastages and disaster management. • Promoting Self-reliance, social awareness, responsibility and inquisitiveness among the children. • Professional and vocational trainings.
• Respecting Art Education, literature, culture study and traditions. [pic]
Aims of Education In Current Times
OVERVIEW AND BACKGROUND FOR THE STUDY:
In the major sense Education is the accomplishment that has an influential impact on an individual’s character, mind and physical abilities. If discussed technically education is defined as a process through which a society with positive intentions transform it. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately...