2. Reading improves your vocabulary: Remember in elementary school when you learned how to infer the meaning of one word by reading the context of the other words in the sentence? You get the same benefit from book reading. While readingbooks, especially challenging ones, you will find yourself exposed to many new words you wouldn’t be otherwise.
3. Gives you a glimpse into other cultures and places of the world: How would you know about the life of people in Mexico if you don’t read about it? Reading gives you an insight into the diversity of ethnicity of people, their customs, their lifestyles etc. You become more aware about the different places and the code of conduct in those places.
4. Improves concentration and focus: It requires you to focus on what you are reading for long periods. Unlike magazines, Internet posts or e-Mails that might contain small chunks of information,books tell the whole story. Since you must concentrate in order to read, like a muscle, you will get better at concentration.
5. Builds self-esteem: The more you read, the more knowledgeable you become. With more knowledge comes more confidence. More confidence builds self-esteem. So it’s a chain reaction. Since you are so well read, people look to you for answers. Your feelings about yourself can only get better.
6. Improves memory: Many studies show if you don’t use your memory, you lose it. Crossword puzzles are an example of a word game that staves off Alzheimer’s. Reading, although not a game, helps you stretch your memory muscles in a similar way. Reading requires remembering details, facts and figures and in literature, plot lines, themes and characters.
7. Improves your... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). Advantages of Reading Books. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Of-Reading-Books-387769.html
"Advantages of Reading Books" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Of-Reading-Books-387769.html>.
- MLA 7
"Advantages of Reading Books." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 08 2010. Web. 08 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Of-Reading-Books-387769.html>.
"Advantages of Reading Books." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Of-Reading-Books-387769.html.