International trade allows countries to exchange good and services with the use of money as a medium of exchange. Several advantages can be identified with reference to international trade. However international trade does have its limitations as well. Discussed below are both advantages and disadvantages of international trade.
• Greater variety of goods available for consumption – international trade brings in different varieties of a particular product from different destinations. This gives consumers a wider array of choices which will not only improve their quality of life but as a whole it will help the country grow.
• Efficient allocation and better utilization of resources since countries tend to produce goods in which they have a comparative advantage. When countries produce through comparative advantage, wasteful duplication of resources is prevented. It helps save the environment from harmful gases being leaked into the atmosphere and also provides countries with a better marketing power.
• Promotes efficiency in production as countries will try to adopt better methods of production to keep costs down in order to remain competitive. Countries that can produce a product at the lowest possible cost will be able to gain a larger share in the market. Therefore an incentive to produce efficiently arises. This will help standards of the product to increase and consumers will have a good quality product to consume.
• More employment could be generated as the market for the countries’ goods widens through trade. International trade helps generate more employment through the establishment of newer industries to cater to the demands of various countries. This will help countries bring down their unemployment rates.
• It could lead to a more rapid depletion of exhaustible natural resources. As countries begin to up their production levels, natural resources tend to get... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 09). Advantages & Disadvantages of International Trade. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Disadvantages-International-Trade-162044.html
"Advantages & Disadvantages of International Trade" StudyMode.com. 09 2008. 09 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Disadvantages-International-Trade-162044.html>.
"Advantages & Disadvantages of International Trade." StudyMode.com. 09, 2008. Accessed 09, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-Disadvantages-International-Trade-162044.html.