* major advantage of fossil fuels is their capacity to generate huge amounts of electricity in just a single location.
* Fossil fuels are very easy to find.
* When coal is used in power plants, they are very cost effective. Coal is also in abundant supply.
* Transporting oil and gas to the power stations can be made through the use of pipes making it an easy task.
* Power plants that utilize gas are very efficient.
* Power stations that make use of fossil fuel can be constructed in almost any location. This is possible as long as large quantities of fuel can be easily brought to the power plants.
Disadvantages of Fossil Fuels
* Pollution is a major disadvantage of fossil fuels. This is because they give off carbon dioxide when burned thereby causing a greenhouse effect. This is also the main contributory factor to the global warming experienced by the earth today.
* Coal also produces carbon dioxide when burned compared to burning oil or gas. Additionally, it gives off sulphur dioxide, a kind of gas that creates acid rain.
* Environmentally, the mining of coal results in the destruction of wide areas of land. Mining this fossil fuel is also difficult and may endanger the lives of miners. Coal mining is considered one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.
* Power stations that utilize coal need large amounts of fuel. In other words, they not only need truckloads but trainloads of coal on a regular basis to continue operating and generating electricity. This only means that coal-fired power plants should have reserves of coal in a large area near the plant’s location.
* Use of natural gas can cause unpleasant odors and some problems especially with transportation.
* Use of crude oil causes pollution and poses environmental hazards such as oil spills when oil tankers, for instance, experience leaks or drown deep under the sea. Crude oil contains toxic chemicals... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 09). Advantages and Disadvantages of Fossil Fuels. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-And-Disadvantages-Of-Fossil-Fuels-412305.html
"Advantages and Disadvantages of Fossil Fuels" StudyMode.com. 09 2010. 2010. 09 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-And-Disadvantages-Of-Fossil-Fuels-412305.html>.
- MLA 7
"Advantages and Disadvantages of Fossil Fuels." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2010. Web. 09 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-And-Disadvantages-Of-Fossil-Fuels-412305.html>.
"Advantages and Disadvantages of Fossil Fuels." StudyMode.com. 09, 2010. Accessed 09, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Advantages-And-Disadvantages-Of-Fossil-Fuels-412305.html.