Abuse vs Discipline

Topics: Child abuse, Abuse, Physical abuse Pages: 6 (2026 words) Published: December 13, 2011
Blake Moss
Abuse Versus Discipline

A mother spanks her child in a public parking lot. While a nearby citizen watches in horror and begins to dial 911. Is this wrong? Does the mother have authority to do this to her own child? Who gets to decide how the mother disciplines her child? Why here? These are the questions that come across the mind of today's society. Most people would agree that the child did something “wrong,” but opinion collide on how the mother should discipline the child. Parents from generations ago would not have thought twice about this incident. In today's era, as technology has progressed so has the ideas of child abuse and discipline. What is the difference between child abuse vs. child discipline? Then Versus Now

Disciplining children in the 1950s has been seen as strict, harsh and oppressive .In fact, children were often meant to be "seen but not heard." Back then , if a child forgot to say “sir” or “ma'am” behind their statement to a teacher or another adult, he or she had the possibility of taking a blow from a switch to the rear. This is a lot different from generations growing up today. Children are almost never taught proper manners when addressing higher authority figures. Some parents turn their heads at any sign of physical discipline. Statistics

Statistics show a report of child abuse is made every ten seconds. Another shows that more than five children die from child abuse every day. That means everyday about 9,000 reports of child abuse are made. Children are less likely to die from child abuse if they are active in the community or attend a public school system. 80% of children who die from child abuse are under the age of four . The other 20% are in elementary schools. This dramatic difference is due to authorities and professionals helping to protect children. Why don't the children tell? Statistics say that over 90% of children who are sexually abused, know who their abuser is. Children are terrified of their abuser so, they protect abuser in hope that they won't hurt them or their family. 30% of the children who are abused will go on to abuse others later on in life. The abused have a 80% chance to developing some kind of psychological disorder. They have a higher risk of being sent to prison as will. Statistics show that 14% of all men in prison were abused as a child and that 36% of women in prison were abused.

Abuse and Neglect by Law
Child abuse by law in the Child Welfares Information Gateway in Missouri as “Any physical injury inflicted on a child by other than accidental means by those responsible for the child’s care, custody, and control.” This means that any physical punishment such as a bar of soap in the mouth, is seen as abuse. The person who put the soap in the child's mouth is abusing them. Neglect is defined in this article as well it is “Failure to provide, by those responsible for the care, custody, and control of the child, proper or necessary support; education as required by law; nutrition; or medical, surgical, or any other care necessary for the child’s well-being.” When the state says this, it does not define “proper support.” This leaves room for interpretation. In some parents mind if you do not celebrate a child’s ‘B+’ grade then you are neglecting him or her. Is it correct for the state to tell parents how to discipline their children in certain ways? Abuse and Neglect by Definition

The dictionary says child abuse is “mistreatment of a child by a parent or guardian, including neglect, beating, and sexual molestation.” By this definition the amount of the action is not defined.  Also, beating and neglect are not defined; this leaves room for interpretation again.  Some may interpret it as laying a hand on a child at all, where other may take it as leaving a bruise.  Neglect can be defined as “failure of caretakers to provide adequate emotional and physical care for a child” in the dictionary. This “adequate” definition...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Child Abuse vs .Discipline
  • Essay about "Discipline vs. Child abuse
  • Discipline Versus Child Abuse Essay
  • Physical Abuse vs. Psychological Abuse Essay
  • Discipline, Not Abuse Essay
  • When Discipline is Considered Child Abuse Research Paper
  • Position Paper- Child Abuse and Discipline
  • Essay about Discipline by spanking your children is not Abuse!!!

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free