Narrative essay is a popular topic on the Continuous Writing section and students should take note that this topic has appeared in the SPM examination almost every year since the paper was introduced.
Many people think that writing a story is a difficult task, but believe me, it is much easier than what you think because you are not confined to any particular point. Therefore, you are free to voice out everything that is in your mind.
A narrative essay is a piece of writing that recreates an experience through time. It can be based on one of your own experiences, either past or present, or it can be based on the experience of someone else.
In the exam if you choose to write a narrative essay, it simply means that you are telling a story, which is meaningful and important to you. It describes how a certain event that happened to you. A good narrative isn’t an enjoyable or amusing story, but has a point to make, an idea to pass on.
1. Before writing the essay you should identify the experience that you want to write about. Think about the experience is significant and spend a good deal of time drafting your recollections about the details of the experience. Finally, create an outline of the basic parts of your narrative.
2. The story should have an introduction that clearly indicates what kind of narrative essay it is (an event or recurring activity, a personal experience, or an observation), and it should have a conclusion that makes a point.
3. It’s okay to include anecdotes. The author should describe the person, the scene, or the event in some detail. The occasion or person described must be suggestive in that your description and thoughts lead the reader to reflect on the human experience.
4. It’s okay to include dialogue as long as you know how to punctuate it correctly and as long as you avoid using too much of it.
5. The point of view in narrative essay is usually first person. The use of “I”... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 10). About Narrative Essay. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/About-Narrative-Essay-813666.html
"About Narrative Essay" StudyMode.com. 10 2011. 10 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/About-Narrative-Essay-813666.html>.
"About Narrative Essay." StudyMode.com. 10, 2011. Accessed 10, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/About-Narrative-Essay-813666.html.