1. I am a Norman lord living in Ireland and I control a castle. The word castle comes from the word castellum which is Latin and means fort. Kings and nobles use castles as homes and military bases.
2. Castles are built near important places such as river crossings, seaports and towns; my castle is situated on the top of a hill near the river Boyne. My soldiers can see out over the surrounding countryside.
3. My ancestors built a castle of earth and wood called a motte and bailey about 50 years ago it was attacked my grandfather decided to replace the wood with stone. The castle was far stronger than the wooden one and has lasted far longer.
4. The keep has a high surrounding wall called a curtain wall; we also have a small outer tower called a barbican for protection. He also built turrets along the outer walls and on the top carners of the keep.
5. my castle also has a drawbridge, gatehouse,moast,merlons,crenellations and arrow slits. The castle can be entered by crossing a drawbridge across the moat. For extra security a strong, spiked iron grating called a portcullis hangs over the entrance.
6. There are a number of rooms in the keep but the great hall is the main one. I run my estates from here, the main meals are eaten here and it also serves as a bedroom. My wife and I sleep in a curtained off area at one end of the hall. We are hoping to add a partition to create a private room called a solar for my wife.
7. When eating breakfast and supper minstrels called musicians, jugglers and jesters entertain us. We eat beef, mutton and pork are popular, fowl such as rabbits which are caught during hunting are eaten alswel.
8. One of my pastimes is hawking this is how the fowl is caught. To stop the meat from rotting we smoke it or put it in barrels of salt, we also add spices for flavour.
9. My duties include holding courts at which disputes are settled, I also ensure taxes are paid and I deal with... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 05). A Medival Manor. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/A-Medival-Manor-1002683.html
"A Medival Manor" StudyMode.com. 05 2012. 05 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/A-Medival-Manor-1002683.html>.
"A Medival Manor." StudyMode.com. 05, 2012. Accessed 05, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/A-Medival-Manor-1002683.html.