1) You know the words to ‘In-pin-safety-pin’ and ‘akkad-bakkad’ by heart 2) Cricket is almost a religion for you, and you idolize at least one of Rahul Dravid/Sachin Tendulkar/Saurav Ganguly 3) You have read at least some Chacha Chaudhary or Tinkle comics 4) You’ve watched Shaktimaan on TV at least once in your life. And you can immediately recognize the character when you see him. 5) You have some ‘NRI’ relatives.
6) You couldn’t wait for it to be December so you could have the Toblerone chocolates your NRI relatives brought you 7) You watched Cartoon Network, and then the late night movies on TNT that came after Cartoon Network ended. 8) You watched corny dubbed versions of Small Wonder, Silver Spoon, and I Dream of Jeanie 9) You were THRILLED when McDonald’s opened in your neighborhood (or even eight kilometers away) 10) A visit to Pizza Hut used to mean a special treat
11) You have seen Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Hum Aapke Hain Kaun at least 5 times each 12) You still remember the theme song of Hum Paanch. (Hum Paanch, Pam Pam Pam Paanch!) 13) You have played hours upon hour of running and catching, chor-police, lagori, saankli, ‘Doctor, doctor, help us!’, ‘Lock and key’ 14) You have seen girls play ‘Amina Super Sina’ more times than you can remember. (And you still don’t know what it means!) 15) Dog ‘in’ the bone was your favorite co-ed game.
16) Much of your free time in school was spent playing UNO.
17) You collected trump cards of wrestlers, cricketers, and airplanes, and did not quite understand why your younger siblings were obsessed with Pokemon and the other Japanese trends that followed. 18) Your summer vacations were often synonymous with visiting your grandparents or cousins 19) Your parents, at some point, told you ‘Dark Room’ was a bad game to play. But you still loved playing it. 20) Bole mere lips, I love uncle Chips!
21) You know the song ‘Made in India’ by Alisha Chinai
22) You have seen many many many episodes of ‘Antakshari’ on Zee TV and know the only thing constant in the show is Annu Kapoor. 23) Many evenings have been spent watching little kids gyrate vulgarly on Boogie Woogie on Sony. 24) You were the coolest thing in class if you had a computer in your house while it was still the 90s. 25) You learnt LOGO and BASIC in school!
26) You couldn’t wait to start 4th standard so you could start writing with PENS instead of with pencils! 27) You often used terms and phrases like ‘two-say’, ‘same to you, back to you, with no returns’, and ‘shame shame, puppy shame, all the donkeys know your name.’ 28) You most probably saw Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge at the cinema at least once. You also fantasized about singing songs in mustard fields as in the movie. 29) You have seen David Dhawan and Govinda movies and laughed at them. 31) You have said ‘haw’ or ‘yuck’ when you saw people kissing in English movies. (nowadays kids are used to it!) 30) Titanic was your FIRST favourite english movie.
31) You thought seeing English movies and speaking English made you the coolest thing ever. 32) You remember the Gujarat earthquake very clearly and could possibly tell everyone EXACTLY what you were doing when the earthquake occurred (yes, this happened in 2001, January 26, 2001, to be exact — but this group is about the things that Indian kids that GREW UP in the 90s remember and identify with). 33) Barbies for girls, and GI Joes for boys were the ultimate status symbols. You just wanted more more more and more. And how can I forget Hot Wheels, for both boys and girls? 34) You thought ‘imported’ clothes were definitely way better than ‘made in India’ clothes (never mind that a lot of clothes brought from overseas by NRI relatives were actually made in India, before ‘Made in China’ started appearing on EVERY existing thing) 35) "Jungle Jungle Baat Chali Hai Pata Chala Hai! Chaddi Pehen Ke Phool Khila Hai Phool Khila Hai!" You watched "The Jungle Book" every Sunday...