This study guide will prepare you for the Final Examination you will complete in Week Six. It contains practice questions, which are related to each week’s objectives. In addition, refer to each week’s readings and your student guide as study references for the Final Examination.
Week One: Constructing and Supporting an Argument
Objective: Identify channels for business communications.
1. An informal communication network is typically called a
a. chat network
c. contextual system
2. Which channel of communication is lowest in richness?
a. Video conferences
c. Memos and letters
d. Telephone conversations
3. Jessica needs to describe her vision for an important ad campaign to three of the new team members. What should Jessica do? a. Schedule a meeting
b. Send an e-mail
c. Write a memo
d. Publish a formal report
Objective: Evaluate credibility and validity of sources of information.
4. Checking a book’s preface, reading a blurb found on a book jacket cover, and looking for thumbnail biographies at the beginning and end of a source of information are all part of a. evaluating style and tone
b. evaluating credentials
c. evaluating currency
d. evaluating biases
Objective: Develop effective arguments.
5. When you write a paragraph based on _____________, the topic sentence should clearly summarize the range of evidence you use a. deduction
Week Two: Values and Managing Others
Objective: Evaluate alignment of personal values and organizational values.
6. Which developmental method is useful for helping managers to understand their inner feelings and values? a. outdoor challenge programs
b. personal growth programs
c. mentoring programs
d. multisource feedback workshops
Objective: Determine strategies to promote collaboration.
7. According to Yukl, the difference between exchange and collaboration as an influence tactic is a. exchange involves personal trade-offs
b. collaboration involves a joint effort to accomplish the same objective c. collaboration does not entail problem-solving
d. exchange is a motivator whereas collaboration is not
Objective: Explain ethical decision making in a complex environment.
8. Which condition is likely to encourage ethical behavior in organizations? a. Strong emphasis on individual productivity
b. Cultural values for obedience to authority
c. Intense competition for valued rewards
d. Cultural values for individual responsibility
9. Which statement about moral development of leaders is correct? a. Moral development occurs naturally as a person becomes older and more experienced as a leader b. Someone at the highest level of moral development will risk social rejection to achieve an important ethical objective c. Most people conform to social norms even if they do not have a strong moral self identity d. The consequences of actions are more important than formal rules and laws for determining whether a person's behavior will be ethical
10. Which of the following questions will help individuals and organizations when deciding if their decisions are ethical? a. Do I feel good about this decision?
b. Is it balanced?
c. Has it been done before?
d. Is there a desirable alternative?
Week Three: Introduction to Business Analysis
Objective: Explain entrepreneurship versus working for others.
11. Shelby recently started selling her invention: A bed that uses magnetic forces to appear as if it floats in mid-air. Shelby is a. an arbitrageur
b. an entrepreneur
c. a speculator
d. an account manager
12. Kenya recently quit a job with a large corporation to start her own business. While she realizes that her decision comes with risk, she is excited for the chance to be independent and by the challenges of running her...