Top of Form
Successful Organizations -- Five Keys to a Successful Organization By Sue E. Thomas
Many companies long to learn the secret to success. While business has many critical aspects - from vision to strategic planning to customer service - the one that is often given the least attention, yet can be the most costly, is people. Your people have the ability to drive customers to you or away from you. To make work fun and simple, or miserable and riffled with issues. They can cause problems or save time and money with their creative solutions. What's a company to do? Here are 5 keys to make your Organization Successful:
1. Hire the right people - when it comes to hiring, many organizations miss the mark by: * Failing to identify and agree upon the position requirements * Neglecting to plan
* Asking illegal questions
* Asking few follow-up or clarifying questions
* Succumbing to the pressure to fill the position
* Letting individual biases and stereotypes get in the way
2. Give them the tools to do a good job - Put yourself in your employees' shoes. Would you be able to do a better job if: * You had a faster computer?
* There was a file cabinet for pertinent documents?
* The printer/copier was closer to your desk?
* You had a database program to track customers?
* There were bins to organize inventory parts?
* You had some help developing a report to track tasks?
* The supplies weren't locked up and you didn't have to requisition every paperclip?
3. Provide them with positive, constructive feedback - many companies have a formal performance review process, but rarely use it. Constructive feedback is one of the best ways to grow a company! People want to know: * Know they are doing a good job.
* Understand what and how they should improve.
* Understand how they affect company success.
* Know how they can affect their status and...