1. Extemporaneous speaking is the most common mode of delivery, and is the one you should use in all but a few special cases.
2. Memorize ideas, not specific words, except for key transitions, introduction, conclusion, and perhaps some key examples.
3. Used by most teachers, trial lawyers, salespersons, and others engaged in speaking for hours at a time or for large portions of the day.
4. Extemporaneous speaking involves
e. main idea
f. introduction and conclusion
a. Easier to sound natural and confident.
b. Easier to respond to feedback or changes in the situation.
1. Use impromptu speaking when you have no time for preparation and planning.
2. Not appropriate for any critical message.
3. However, impromptu situations do occur.
a. For example, you are called into an executive management meeting on the spur of the moment to explain how your department help cut costs.
b. Because a meeting runs long, you are forced to reduce a 20 page report into a 3 minute presentation.
c. A customer comes into your corporate headquarters complaining about one of your policies.
4. Steps to handle an impromptu situation
a. Keep your composure.
i. Don’t apologize.
ii. Don’t expect perfection. You speak all the time without extensive preparation.
b. Use the time you have, however short.
i. Jot down notes, if you have the time.
c. Select a main idea.
i. Try to craft a single, declarative sentence that sums up what you need to say.
ii. Make this conspicuous when you speak.
iii. Be sure to connect your main idea to the audience and the occasion.
iv. Remember the critical issues. Pick the top 2 or 3.
d. Select a pattern for your ideas.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). 4 Modes of Delivery. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/4-Modes-Of-Delivery-384635.html
"4 Modes of Delivery" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/4-Modes-Of-Delivery-384635.html>.
"4 Modes of Delivery." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/4-Modes-Of-Delivery-384635.html.