4.2 Warning: Alcohol is a Dangerous Chemical
Work File Review
Look at each of the statements below. Based on what you have heard and what you believe, which ones are facts and which ones are myths? Place an “x” next to the answer that represents your choice. *ATOD Orange County Schools Check your answers by selecting the “Alcohol Pretest Key” on the 4.2 Activity page.
1. Drinking is part of being an adult. Eventually, everybody drinks alcohol. Fact ____
2. Drinking makes you more appealing to others.
3. A mixed drink contains more alcohol than beer.
4. A person's size can determine how quickly alcohol can have a negative effect. Fact ____
5. Coffee is a good way to sober up.
6. Only a few deaths from car accidents are related to alcohol usage. Fact ____
7. Alcohol is a dangerous drug.
8. Drinking makes bad feelings go away.
9. Drinking makes your problems disappear.
10. Mixing alcohol with another drug can cause overdose and death. Fact ___Y_
11. As soon as alcohol reaches your stomach, it affects your abilities. Fact ___Y_
12. Alcohol has no effect on family violence.
13. Alcohol is a poison.
14. Women who drink during pregnancy may have retarded or deformed children. Fact Y
15. Children of alcoholic parents are more likely to become alcoholics. Fact ___Y_
Note taking is important for this lesson.
Read the questions on the left side of the page very carefully and then record meaningful facts and ideas in the main larger, right-hand column. Be sure to read each stated web site very carefully. Your test will come directly from the notes. This method for taking notes is called “Cornell Note Taking.”
Select: Blood Alcohol Educator
1. List three facts that you
have learned from this site.
Men has better drinking skill than women
2. Compare the various effects that alcohol has on the mind and body at two different blood alcohol concentrations.
3. Evaluate the decision by all fifty states to enact a BAC limit of .08 as the legal limit for drunk driving on drivers over the age of 21. Why was this law so important for everyone's health and safety?
Select: Myths about alcohol[->0]
1. List at least three organs that can be affected by alcohol use.
2. If you were involved with alcohol as a teen, predict what four people (other than your parents) would be most affected by your use of alcohol.
Select: What is a drink?[->1]
1. What is the definition of a standard drink for beer, wine and distilled spirits?
2. How does the amount of alcohol in a malt liquor compare to other brewed beverages?
3. Why can’t you group all 12 ounce beers as having the same alcohol content just as you would with one 12 ounce wine cooler?
Select: Drinking and Driving[->2]
1. Analyze the promising but inadequately evaluated measures that can be used to reduce drinking and driving. Please predict the 3 that you think would be the most beneficial.
2. Identify 2 ways that you can help in the task of reducing drinking and driving.
3. Explain BAC and explain its importance in determining DUI or DWI.
Heart, liver, stomach
GF, friend, teacher, sister
Select: Effects on the Body[->3]
1. List five (5) effects alcohol has on the body’s central nervous system.
2. Contrast a healthy liver with that of a liver affected by alcohol consumption. Include a minimum of 4 facts...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document