Dr. Deepak Tyagi,
3G Security Threats
The aim of the research was to study the 3G (third generation) wireless networks security threats. From the data gathered through observations and literature review, security threats that may be possible in 3G mobile networks were identified and the methods which may be used to minimize such security threats in networks were determined. Recommendations are given to minimize the security threats 3G networks.
3G or 3rd generation is technology for mobile network is based on the IMT-2000 standards according to specification by International Telecommunication Union (ITU). It helps users in getting greater network capacity through improved spectrum efficiency like video conference support, IPTV (TV through the internet), broadband wireless data, music downloads, receiving streaming video from the Web, sending and receiving faxes, instantly downloading e-mail messages with attachments etc. 3G networks have potential transfer speeds of up to 3 Mbps (it takes around 15 seconds to download a 3-minute MP3 song).
They are intended to provide a global mobility. In 1998 Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) was formed for the technical specification work. 3G is a set of technologies and standards that include W-CDMA, WLAN and cellular radio, among others. Figure below shows the UMTS network and its elements:
3. 3G Mobile network are more vulnerable now:
• IMSI is sent in clear-text when allocating TMSI to the user
• 3G mobile network is based on Internet Protocol (IP) which provide high speed wireless connection, allowing user to do more things while connected.
• Evolving of network with IMS, enable interconnected networks running on IP.
• A user can be lured to camp on a false BS. Once the user camps on the radio channels of a false BS, the user is out of reach of the paging signals of SN
• Hijacking outgoing/incoming... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). 3g Security Threats Amit Kumar Saini Research Scholar Dr. Deepak Tyagi, Singhania University. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/3G-Security-Threats-Amit-Kumar-Saini-775180.html
"3g Security Threats Amit Kumar Saini Research Scholar Dr. Deepak Tyagi, Singhania University" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/3G-Security-Threats-Amit-Kumar-Saini-775180.html>.
"3g Security Threats Amit Kumar Saini Research Scholar Dr. Deepak Tyagi, Singhania University." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/3G-Security-Threats-Amit-Kumar-Saini-775180.html.