1. Akapulko (Cassia alata) Common names include "bayabas-bayabasan" in tagalog, "ringworm bush or schrub" and "acapulco" in English, this Philippine herbal medicine is used to treat tinea infections, insect bites, ringworms, eczema, scabies and itchiness.
2. Ampalaya (Momordica charantia) Common names include "bitter melon " or "bitter gourd " in English. This Philippine herbal medicine has been found to be effective in the treatment of diabetes (diabetes mellitus), hemofrhoids, coughs, burns and scalds, and being studied for anti-cancer properties.
3. Bawang (Allium sativum) Common name in english is "Garlic". Bawang is a used in Philippine herbal medicine to treat infection with antibacterial, antiinflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-hypertensive properties. It is widely used to reduce cholesterol level in blood.
4. Bayabas (Psidium guajava) - "Guava" in English. A Philippine herbal medicine used as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, antioxidant hepatoprotective, anti-allergy, antimicrobial, anti-plasmodial, anti-cough, antidiabetic, and antigenotoxic in folkloric medicine.
5. Lagundi (Vitex negundo) - known as "5-leaved chaste tree" in english is used in Philippine herbal medicine to treat cough, colds and fever. It is also used as a relief for asthma & pharyngitis, rheumatism, dyspepsia, boils, and diarrhea.
6. Niyog-niyogan (Quisqualis indica L.) - is a vine known as "Chinese honey suckle". This Philippine herbal medicine is used to eliminate intestinal parasites.
7. Sambong (Blumea balsamifera)- English name: "Ngai camphor or Blumea camphor" is... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 01). 10 Herbal Medicine. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/10-Herbal-Medicine-899143.html
"10 Herbal Medicine" StudyMode.com. 01 2012. 2012. 01 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/10-Herbal-Medicine-899143.html>.
- MLA 7
"10 Herbal Medicine." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2012. Web. 01 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/10-Herbal-Medicine-899143.html>.
"10 Herbal Medicine." StudyMode.com. 01, 2012. Accessed 01, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/10-Herbal-Medicine-899143.html.