1. Place the following networking technologies in the order of their highest speed, from slowest to fastest: Fiber optic, dial-up networking, cable modem, Fast Ethernet Dial-up networking, cable modem, fiber-optic, Fast Ethernet 2. What is the difference between ADSL and SDSL?
ADSL uses one upload speed from the consumer to an ISP and a faster download speed. SDSL uses equal bandwidths in both directions. 3. Among satellite, cable modem, and DSL, which technology experiences more latency? Satellite
4. When using DSL to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology? Regular telephone
5. When using a cable modem to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology? Television
6. Which version of 802.11 technologies can use two antennae at both the access point and the network adapter? 802.11n
7. Which wireless encryption standard is stronger, WEP or WPA? WPA
8. What is the name of the port used by an Ethernet cable? What is the name of the port used by a dial-up modem? RJ-45, RJ-11
9. If you want to upgrade your 100BaseT Ethernet network so that it will run about 10 times the current speed, what technology would you use? Gigabit Ethernet
10. What is the maximum length of a cable on a 100BaseT network? 100 meters or 328 feet
11. What does the 100 in the name 100BaseT indicate?
The transmission speed of the network which is 100 Mbps.
12. Which type of networking cable is more reliable, STP or UTP? STP is more reliable
13. Which is more expensive, UTP CAT5e cabling or STP CAT5e cabling? STP CAT5e is more expensive because it is shielded
14. How can you tell the difference between a patch cable and a crossover cable by examining the cable? Look for the label imprinted on the cable
15. What type of server serves up IP addresses to computers on a network? DHCP server
16. What type of protocol is used to present a public IP address to computers outside the LAN to handle requests to use the Internet from computers inside the LAN? NAT
17. How many bits are in an IPv4 IP address?
18. What port does the SMTP protocol use by default?
19. Which protocol does a Web server use when transmissions are encrypted for security? HTTPS
20. What type of server resolves fully qualified domain names to IP addresses? DNS server
21. What is the maximum length of a NetBIOS name?
22. What is the name of the file that keeps associations between computer names and IP addresses on the local computer? Hosts file
23. What protocol is replacing the POP protocol used to receive email? IMAP
24. Approximately how many IP addresses are available for a single Class A IP license? Class B? Class C? 16 million, 65,000, and 254
25. What are IP addresses called that begin with 10, 172.16 or 192.168? Private IP addresses
26. In what class is the IP address 220.127.116.11?
27. In what class is the IP address 18.104.22.168?
28. Describe the difference between public and private IP addresses. If a network is using private IP addresses, how can the computers on that network access the Internet? Public IP addresses are licensed and authorized to use the Internet. Private IP addresses are not authorized or licensed to use the Internet. A computer with a private IP address uses a proxy server to access the Internet. 29. Why is it unlikely that you will find the IP address 192.168.250.10 on the Internet? IP addresses that begin with 192.168 are private IP addresses. 30. If no DHCP server is available on a network, what type of configuration must computers on the network use for assignments of IP addresses? Static IP addressing
31. If a computer is found to have an IP address of 169.254.1.1, what can you assume about how it received...