1. Where did Alexander the Great come from? Describe his accomplishments. Macedonia; helped create a new type of culture.
2. What type of government was founded in Athens, Greece?
3. Describe the Hellenistic period.
Culture based on Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Asians and other regions. 4. Homer is credited with writing what epic poems? What is the subject matter of these poems? The Iliad and the Odyssey; last year of the Trojan war and heroes from the Trojan war 5. Describe the social differences between the city states of Athens and Sparta. Athens: had great navySparta: had great army
6. The Peloponnesian War was fought between what two enemies? What were the effects of the Peloponnesian War? Athenians and Spartans; Athens: lost entire navy Sparta: became supreme power in Greece, and in 340s BC all of Greece was conquered by Macedonia. 7. Describe the teachings and accomplishments of Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates. Aristotle: pioneered the use of reason and logic to study the natural world, believed that the greatest good people could perform was the practice of rational thought, contributed to the development of science, esp. biology, and taught people that they can use what they know to infer new facts. Plato: thought philosophers were best suited to govern people, believed that every material object in the world was only the reflection of a perfect ideal, for example all the trees growing in Greece were only reflections of a single ideal tree that did not actually exist. Socrates: sought truths about broad concepts such as a truth, justice, and virtue, thought people could learn best by asking questions and believed that philosophers could study human behaviors to learn how to improve society as a whole. 8. What is Polis?
A city-state in ancient Greece
9. Who was involved in the three Punic wars and what were the results of each war? Rome and Carthage; Romans enslaved entire population and completely destroyed the...