• Essay of 1000 words (allowed to be 10% under/ not over) • 50% of your mark • submit by 12pm on Thurs 10th Jan Title: A Summary and Evaluation of Lopresti-Goodman, S. M., Rivera, A. and Dressel, C. (2012), Practicing Safe Text: the Impact of Texting on Walking Behavior. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 26 (4): 644– 648 .
The main things we are looking for in an essay (assessment criteria) Summarise the research study in terms of its aims, methods, findings,
discussion and interpretation of
Interpret and evaluate the study in
your own words, indicating strengths and weaknesses in different areas
Present your work clearly and
concisely, ensuring it is adequately
Sections we would expect to see in your essay
Title Introduction Summary Evaluation Conclusion
• A summary and evaluation of Lopresti-Goodman, S. M., Rivera, A. and Dressel, C. (2012), Practicing Safe Text: the Impact of Texting on Walking Behavior. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 26 (4): 644–648 .
• Tell us what you are going to do: what are you summarising? What are your evaluative points?
• Be succinct and selective; make sure all key information is there
• Use Stevenson’s DRREEEEEAAAMSS system selectively to evaluate the paper. Only focus on a few (3-6) of Stevenson’s criteria.
• Provide a summary of what the paper set out to do and a summary of your evaluative points
Stevenson’s DRREEEEEAAAMSS system
Should I be referencing sources in this essay? YES!
Ok but who? Stevenson and the Leal, Vrij, Mann and Fisher paper for a start
Alright but is that it? NO: Do some more research and reading– look for other papers and books that help you to understand the theory behind the study and ways that others have tried to evaluate similar cognitive research. OK but where do I start? Look for book readings that critique the cognitive approach generally. Check online databases via the library (such as PsychInfo and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document