Morgan Michelle E. Mills
Axia College of University of Phoenix
The largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere and the second largest in the world is the Belize Barrier System. The Belize Barrier Reef system is home to a lot of marine plant and animal life; some of them are endangered like the marine turtle, American crocodile and manatee. If there is a coral reef parallel to it is the mangroves. People usually ignore the trees that line the coastline because they don’t grow fruits or nuts and they are not ideal for shade or breeze. But what mangroves offer surpasses what they do not. Mangroves are good protection from storm waves. The Mangroves naturally protects animals and humans that live on the coast from storm waves. When hurricane Keith battered through one resident had to watch as his house was hit by the waves while other was not. His land was cleared of mangroves to make room for residential development.
* The Human intrusions threatening the reef
* Water pollution from improper waste disposal.
* Rising poverty rates
* Bad implementation of the law.
* Oil discovery
* Intrusions to the mangroves.
* Provide more homes and accommodations for residents and visitors. * The efforts and protections that exist to safeguard and preserve area. * WCS
* Bacarlar Chico NP & MR
* Blue Hole Natural Monument
* Half Moon Caye Natural Monument
* South Water Caye Marine Reserve
* Glover's Reef Marine Reserve
* Laughing Bird Caye National Park
* Sapodilla Cayes Marine Reserve
* Mesoamerican Caribbean Coral Reef System Initiative
* What can we do to help preserve the Belize Barrier Reef * Be environmentally friendly, change starts with oneself. * Donation
Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System. (2009). Retrieved from Unesco: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/764 Bly, L. (March, 14 2008). Belize's...