22.214.171.124 Define Computer Ethics, Code of Ethics, Intellectual Property, Privacy, Computer Crime and Cyber law. 126.96.36.199 Differentiate between ethics and law. 188.8.131.52 State the need for intellectual property laws. ETHICS IN GENERAL
•A guidelines is needed to stop the current technology products from being exploited for example replicating original CDs and selling them as pirated software, this unethical behaviour can be controlled by the code of conducts. •Computer ethics is a system of moral standards or values used as a guideline for computer users. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF COMPUTER CRIMES.
•The United States Institute of Computer Ethics has come out with the Ten Commandments of computer ethics •This principles consider the effective code of conducts for the proper use of Information Technology. 1) You shall not use a computer to harm other people
2) You shall not interfere with other people's computer work 3) You shall not snoop around in other people's computer files
4) You shall not use a computer to steal
5) You shall not use a computer to bear false witness
6) You shall not copy or use proprietary software for which you have not paid 7) You shall not use other people's computer resources without authorization or proper compensation. 8) You shall not appropriate other people's intellectual output.
9) You shall think about the social consequences of the program you are writing or the system you are designing. 10) You shall always use a computer in ways that ensure consideration and respect for your fellow human. UNETHICAL COMPUTER CODE OF CONDUCTS
•Example of unethical computer code of conducts include:
- modifying certain information on the Internet., affecting the accuracy of the information - selling information to other parties without the owner's permission - using information without authorization
- involvement in stealing software
- invasion of privacy
*** with the advanced of ICT, it is easy for anyone to retrieve your information from the Internet. You may not realize that when you fill a form on the Internet, your information may be exposed and stolen. ETHICAL COMPUTER CODE OF CONDUCTS
•Examples of ethical computer code of conducts include:
-Sending warning about viruses to other computer users.
- Asking permission before sending any business advertisements to others
-Using information with authorization.
DEFINITION OF ETHICS
•In general, ethics is a moral philosophy where a person makes a specific moral choice and sticks to it. •On the other hand, ethics in computing means moral guidelines to refer to when using the computer and computer networks. This includes the Internet. DEFINITION OF LAW
•Law is a legal system comprising of rules and principles that govern the affairs of community and controlled by a political authority. •Law differs from one country to another. In the era of technology, computer law is needed to clarify goods or actions that fall under the computer law. •Computer law refers to all areas in law that requires an understanding of computer technology such as hardware, software and Internet. •Examples of law of computing in Malaysia include the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Act, the Computer Crime Act 1997 and the Telemedicine Act !997. RESPECTING OWNERSHIP
•We must respect ownership by not stealing other people's work either by duplicating or distributing it. Duplicating and distributing copies of audio tapes, video tapes and computer programs without permission and authorisation from the individual or company that created the program are immoral and illegal.
RESPECTING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
•We should respect other people's privacy and...