a) The Warehouse Functions
The warehouse are a vital part of industrial or business concern, public and private undertaking, etc, and it must be designed to suit the particular needs of the organization concern. There is therefore no standard system, which can be universally recommended or applied, but of course of time, certain principle and practices of more or less general applications have been evolved.
The warehouses in most organization is an area in which all kind of materials needed for production, distribution, maintenance, packaging etc, are warehoused, received and issued. The warehouses and warehouse functions are therefore basically concerned with holding of stocks. However as will be evident later, warehouses and warehouse management covers great deal more than just these aspects include the following activities.
• Holding, control and issuing of stocks
• Control of all warehouse or warehouses, stockyard and outside storage units • Material handling functions
• Quality control activity
• Training of warehouse and warehouse staff
• Clerical administration of warehouse and warehouses operations • Security of warehouse and warehouses
b) Basic Functions of Warehouse
Modern warehouses or warehouse has a wide variety of functions to perform efficiently. The manner in which the store and warehouse management carries out these tasks will be reflected in the overall efficiency of the organization. The primary objective may be regarded as on of providing service to the operating functions – all other warehouses and warehouse functions are subordinate to this main responsibility although they have they own relative importance.
The functions includes:-
• To supply all materials and related services to ensure continuation of the operations. The flow must be balanced. • To warehouse, control and issue all work in progress and part completed items or products. • To warehouse, control and issue all tools, equipment and spare parts needed by the operations of the organization. • To receive, warehouse, control and utilize all scrap and excess materials produced or manufactured by the organization. • To ensure adequate health and safety precautions are taken in relation to the whole warehouses and warehouse functions. • To control all training and staff development within warehouses and warehouse area. c) Type of Materials Held
The following is generalized list of typical items or products that are commonly found in a medium to large size warehouses or warehouse productive system:-
• Raw materials
• Component parts
• Packaging materials
• Spare parts
• Tools, gauge 7 jigs
• Work in progress
• Finished goods
• Maintenance materials
However, the range, value and the complexity of the items held by any particular warehouses or warehouse will depend upon the size and the complexity of the operations involved. Different type of organizations have different type of items or products in stocks e.g. :-
A PRODUCTION OPERATION will have raw materials, component parts, work in progress, and packaging and associated materials.
A DISTRIBUTION OPERATION will have finished goods, component parts, part competed work and sales and marketing support materials.
AN ENGINEERING OPERATION will have spare parts, tools, equipment and cleaning and servicing materials or maintenance materials.
Because of this wide variation in the kind of items or products found in warehouses or warehouse, storekeeper or warehouse supervisor need to have a wide working knowledge or experience of a great number of materials types and operations.
d) Duties and Responsibilities of warehouse and warehouses Management.