* Owen does not experiment with language and structure in this poem.
* The poem is about the experience of men being moved from their training camp to the trenches in France. The men would have come from a variety of places in the country to the training camp, and the town would therefore have little connection to the men (hence there being a small turnout of support). The poem highlights this sense of anonymity and the very low-key way in which the men are transported out to the war (like a guilty secret).
* The rhyming is full, not half, and the clusters of two and three line stanzas create four verses.
* “The Send off” is written not from the soldiers point of view, but from the people of the town sending them off. It catches the moment just after the parade. The title is ironic because the send off is meant to be a big parade and celebration but the soldiers are not getting this as they are being quietly sent away (secrecy, conspiracy)
* From the very start, it is clear that something sinister is going to happen, “Darkening”, “Close” showing no hope/danger/death and a sense of claustrophobia. Also, “To the siding shed” reminds us of slaughter houses/ abattoir (where animals are slaughtered) as though they are walking to their death after being brainwashed/ left senseless after the manipulation of the propaganda.
* Owen uses “They” and “Them” to take a backseat approach/ to distance himself as though he is a narrator (anonymity)
* “Sang”, think they are going to win/ keep spirits up/ unification (team spirit)
* In “The Send-Off,” Owens speaks of his feelings about the war and has a pessimistic attitude of “them” (the soldiers) returning the same as when they left, and even surviving the war (saying that most of them will die)Verse two, conveys this: “Their breasts were stuck all white with wreath and sprayed / As men’s are, dead.”
* The soldiers know the consequences of what is going to happen when... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). The Send Off + Anthem for Doomed Youth Comparison. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/The-Send-Off-Anthem-For-1405693.html
"The Send Off + Anthem for Doomed Youth Comparison" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/The-Send-Off-Anthem-For-1405693.html>.
- MLA 7
"The Send Off + Anthem for Doomed Youth Comparison." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/The-Send-Off-Anthem-For-1405693.html>.
"The Send Off + Anthem for Doomed Youth Comparison." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/The-Send-Off-Anthem-For-1405693.html.