2. Why didn’t he know how old he was?
3. Name his mother.
4. Who was rumored to be his father?
5. What happened to him before he was a year old?
6. Why does Douglass think this was done?
7. How does he feel when he hears of his mother’s death?
8. Why do the slaves, who are also the children of the master, suffer more that the other slaves? 9. Who was Captain Anthony?
10. Who was Plummer and what kind of man was he?
11. What kind of man was Capt. Anthony?
12. Explain Aunt Hester’s treatment.
13. Give three (3) examples of dehumanization in this chapter. 14. Who raised Douglass and the other children?
1. Of whom did Douglass’ master’s family consist?
2. What were the principal products raised on the plantation? 3. Why were Peter, Isaac, Rick, and Jake envied by the other slaves? 4. Name the two farms nearest to the home plantation.
5. Which of the two farms was the seat of government for the 20 farms? 6. If a slave was convicted of a high misdemeanor, what was his/her punishment? 7. What other things happened at this farm?
8. Name the overseer of this farm.
9. Why is his name ironic?
10. What kind of overseer was Mr. Hopkins?
11. What name did the slaves give the home plantation?
12. Why didn’t Douglass understand the songs sung by the slaves chosen to come to the Great House Farm on errands?
13. How did these songs make him feel?
14. When did the slaves sing the most? What do these songs represent? 1. What was the greatest attraction at the home plantation?
2. How were the slaves kept out of the garden?
3. What were Colonel Lloyd’s prized possessions?
4. What happened if a slave told the truth?
5. what does the expression “a still tongue makes a wise head” mean? 1. Who succeeded Mr. Hopkins?
2. What kind of man was he?
3. If a slave was accused of a misdemeanor, what was the result? 4. Why did Mr. Gore kill Demby the slave?
5. Give four (4) examples of slaves being murdered without consequences to the...