Study Guide for Test 1 (Chapters 19, 20, 21)
Foundations of the Modern World, 1500-1750
This test will be offered on
Identifications—The following terms will appear on your test in multiple choice form. Be able to identify the who/what, when, where, and the historical significance to choose the correct answer.
4. Middle Passage
9. Atlantic system
10. Dutch West India Company
2. Suleiman the Magnificent
3. Shi’ite Islam
4. Shah Abbas I
7. Maritime Worlds of Islam
1. Toyotomi Hideyoshi
3. Forty-Seven Ronin incident
4. Ming and Qing Empires
6. Macartney mission
7. Li Zicheng
9. Ming Empire
10. Peter the Great
Three of the following Discussion Questions will appear on Test 1. Be sure to include supporting details in your answers.
1. What were the pieces of the new Atlantic economy? Explain how each piece was necessary for the economy’s success. Focus on the Atlantic system/circuit here, and remember our discussion question.
2. How did the Saharan slave trade differ from the Atlantic slave trade?
3. Explain the economic and military crisis that led to the decline of the Ottoman Empire. How did the Ottoman Empire handle the growing European aggression, and the advancements in European naval strength during this time? Remember our discussion question.
4. Identify and discuss 2 reasons why the Tokugawa Shogunate fell into decline and crisis.
5. The growth of the early Qing Empire was fueled by the desire to create an economic and demographic recovery in China. Identify 3 things the Qing government did to stimulate the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document