Is English your first language:
STUDENT NAME: Amanda Mashaka
STUDENT NO: 13098P
NAME OF CENTRE: Pretoria
COURSE: National Diploma
DATE OF SUBMISSION: 1 MARCH 2013
NO. OF WORDS:
BIBLIOGRAPHY ENCLOSED: Yes
I declare that this work is my own and the work of others is acknowledged by quotation or correct referencing. I declare that this work has not been copied from another student(s) past or present at this or any other educational institution, or from any other source such as the internet.
Date: 1 MARCH 2013
Please write the essay title or assignment question in FULL below:
| | |STUDY SKILLS ASSIGNMENT 0b |
(Begin typing your assignment here…)
Please use double line spacing throughout your assignment
Discuss the importance of play in children’s learning and development, focusing on the period from birth to six years.
a) Definition of play: Play is an activity chosen by a child which s/he undertakes for his/her own enjoyment which results in the child’s satisfaction.
Importance of play in a child’s learning and development • Even though play does not play a key role in building a child’s basic survival needs it does help a child develop their emotional well being as well as expand their range of learning and development
• As children play with companions arguments are bound to come up as a result of difference in opinion. This shows how serious play is because at an early age children start experiencing a bit of conflict management • Play also helps with social development because imaginative play recreates what the children see at home and when they interact with other people • By talking and listening to other children as well as with adults during play helps develop a child’s communication skills • When children play they should be engaged in activities that enhance their gross fine and motor skills • Adults should build or prepare a play area that gives the child different options so as to promote their decision making skills • Through play a child improves his or her understanding of the world around them • They also learn to categorise and classify things into relationships
This is a feasible essay outline showing your understanding of the topic in question.
Having a brief plan (as opposed to statements) will help you to structure your argument clearly. This strategy is not only useful for planning an essay, but also for outlining what you will cover in an exam answer, so it is worth developing this skill. • Another way of planning this assignment is as follows:
• Definition of play and the importance of play
• Discuss whether all children play or not
• Discuss the different play types and how children can learn and develop
different skills from these and give short relevant examples where possible • Analyse play in different age groups
• Discuss how to provide a safe play environment
• Discuss the role of the adult in the child’s play
• Give short relevant examples to support your unfolding argument
As humans we have a desire to explore and know what makes everything tick, this trait is present in both adults and children. It is this desire that makes children want to experiment and explore with items found around them. It also pushes them to set challenges for themselves which will make them want to learn thus resulting in them developing socially, mentally, physically and emotionally. In order...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document