SPEAKING IN PUBLIC
Public speaking has been a vital form of empowerment. It can and often does make a difference in things people care about very much. The key phrase here is “make a difference.” This is what most of us want to do in life –to make a difference, to change the world in some small way. Public speaking offers you an opportunity to make a difference in something you care about very much.
“Speech communication describes any type of interaction that makes use of spoken words and it is a vital integral part of the modern business world.”
SIMILARITIES BETWEEN PUBLIC SPEAKING AND CONVERSATION
* Organize your thoughts. Presenting your ideas and thoughts in the most convincing manner. Give your ideas the best shot at being considered by being clear and concise. Vague, undeveloped ideas will be quickly buried and unappreciated.
* Tailor your message to the audience. Tailoring your message to the audience is more important. Once you have a good understanding of your audiences, its easier to be strategic & clear about the purpose behind your communication, the key messages you need to deliver, & the channels that will get your message across best.
* Telling a story for the maximum impact. Anecdotes have an utmost influence on readers mind and they remember it for a long time. So demonstration with small narrations will have the maximum impact.
* Adapting to listeners feedback. Adapting to listeners feedback is very important. We must understand the feedback to be able to deal with.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PUBLIC SPEAKING AND CONVERSATION
* Public speaking is more highly structured. It requires more detailed planning and development. Specific time limits may be imposed and the speaker does not have the advantage of being able to respond individually to listeners.
* Public speaking requires more formal language. Slang, jargon and poor grammar all lower speaker’s credibility even in informal situations. Listeners usually react negatively to poor language choices. In fact, many studies show that some kinds of language such as obscene language dramatically lower a speaker’s credibility. * Public speaking requires a different method of delivery. The speaker’s voice much be adjusted in volume and projection, positive is more correct and distracting mannerisms and verbal habits are avoided.
DEVELOPING CONFIDENCE – NERVOUSNESS AND ITS DEALINGS
Regardless of culture, stage fright is universal. Here are six time-tested ways that helps in dealing with nervousness.
* Acquire speaking experience. Making speeches gives an opportunity to gain confidence and make nervousness work for you rather against you and the fear about public speaking will gradually fall back.
* Prepare, prepare, and prepare. In addition to the former, preparation is the key to gain self-confidence to select speech topics in which you are really interested and care about. If you are well prepared no matter whether you are a new speaker or old you can communicate easily with the audience.
* Think positively. Positive Thinking is a common motivational method used to boost one's attitude and promote self growth. People around you pick your mental moods and are affected accordingly. Think about happiness, good health and success and you will cause people to like you and desire to help you, because they enjoy the vibrations that a positive mind emits. Before starting with any plan or action, visualize clearly in your mind its successful outcome. If you visualize with concentration and faith, you will be amazed at the results
* Use the power of visualization. Once you impress an idea into the subconscious part of you, it eventually becomes 'fixed' and automatically attracts you and move towards that which you desire. If you...