1) Northwest Airlines applied mathematical models to determine which customers in its database were currently responsible for most of its profitability and which customers were not currently profitable but had similar characteristics to the most profitable customers. Northwest Airlines utilized ___data mining__ to identify these customers.
C.customer relationships management
2) Minute Maid sees research as the fundamental first step in any business decision, and it created proprietary methods for conducting research. At what level of the hierarchy of business decision makers does Minute Maid operate? A.
3) Which of the following questions is considered first when discussing a management dilemma? D.
A.How can management eliminate negative symptoms?
B.What does the manager need to know to choose the best alternative from the available sources of action?
C.What is the recommended course of action?
D.What symptoms cause management concern?
4) The goal of ethics in research is to _ensure that no one is harmed____.
A.ensure that no one is harmed
B.protect researchers from legal liability
C.identify what behavior is appropriate
D.ensure research sponsors fulfill their legal obligations
5) __Deception___ occurs when the participants are told only part of the truth or when the truth is fully compromised.
6) The process of stating the basic dilemma and then developing other questions by progressively breaking down the original question into more specific ones is called the _management-research question hierarchy____.
B.management-research question hierarchy
7) The fundamental weakness in the research process is _incorrectly defining the research question____.
A.incorrectly defining the research question
B.identifying a flawed sampling frame
C.misdefining the target population
D.failing to identify all relevant secondary information
8) Which type of management question asks what do we want to achieve? A.
A.Choice of purpose
B.Evaluation of solutions
9) In the Southeast, the potato chip market share held by the Lays brand is 46%. This is an example of _a descriptive hypothesis____.
A.a research question
B.a descriptive hypothesis
C.a relational hypothesis
D.an explanatory hypothesis
10) An increase in hours of television viewing leads to increases in the sales of snack foods. This is an example of a _causal hypothesis____.
11) To be categorized as a customer, an individual must have a history of shopping at the establishment at least twice before the start of the study with expenditures of more than $10. This is an example of __an operational definition___.
A.a hypothetical construct
B.a conceptual scheme
C.an operational definition
D.a dictionary definition
12) James is entering data on client gender. Because the values entered reflect male or female, this variable is __discrete___.
13) Which variable in an experiment is the variable expected to be affected by the manipulation? A.
14) Qualitative research seeks to _build____ theory while quantitative research _tests____ it.
15) Which of the following is true of quantitative research? B.
A.It uses a nonprobability sampling method