Topics: Sociology, Social stratification, Max Weber Pages: 7 (2084 words) Published: March 15, 2013
HU-1023 Introduction to Sociology
Fall Semester 2011

Professor:| RafiaMallick|
Office:| 413-G|
E-Mail:| rafia.mallick@ucp.edu.pk|
Office Hours:| Monday, 9:00 am–11:00 am,|
| Wednesday, 11:00 pm- 1:00 pm|
| and by appointment.|

Course Description
This course is an introduction to the main concepts, theories and methods used by sociologists to study society, examine the nature of social life, and to understand social differences, inequalities, institutions and change in society. By acquainting ourselves with sociology we will be better able to understand our own actions and the actions of others and so identify and perhaps change those social conditions which constrain human potential and help build conditions which allow it to develop.

Course Objectives
The objective of this course is to provide students with an exciting and challenging introduction to sociology of everyday life. It includes introduction to basic concepts of sociology and helps build learning and thinking sociologically. It helps cultivate sociological imagination which means interpreting the dynamics of varying human behavior dispassionately in a wider context and applicability of sociological insights to the behavior of people engaged in work organizations and their clients.

Required Course Text
* Macionis, John J (2010). Sociology. 13th edition. Pearson Prentice Hall.

* Handouts Distributed in Class

Reference books
* Giddens, Anthony (2006). Sociology. 5th edition. Polity Press.

* Ibn-e-Arslan (2009). P.M.S Sociology for PMS, CSS & Other Competitive Examinations. Caravan Enterprises.

* Delaney, Tim (2008). Contemporary Social Theory- Investigation and Application. Pearson Education. Course Requirements
There are three main course requirements:
1. Class Attendance & Participation. Class sessions consist of a discussion of the day’s reading material. I expect you to attend class and participate in the class discussions. I will evaluate your attendance and participation in our class discussions. This is 10% of your grade. See the schedule below for the textbook reading assignment to be completed before each class. 1. Examinations. There are two exams. The exams are closed book and closed notes, and are entirely in essay format. Mid-term exam is 20% of your grade, while Final-term exam is 30%. The two exams together are therefore 50% of your grade. See the schedule below for the dates and topic coverage of each exam. 2. Response Papers. Out of four of the sixteen weeks, you shall write a reaction paper on any of the images on http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/ , using the weekly readings and email it to me. These papers constitute 10% of your grade. It should be about one page long (450-500 words). The first half of the response paper should be succinct description of the image less than 200 words; the second half should be a response to the image keeping in mind the weekly readings.You must email your response paper by 9:00 am on Week’s First Class for full credit. This is 15% of your grade. 3. Quizzes. There are two quizzes. The quizzes are closed book and closed notes, and are in objective and subjective format. Each quiz is 5% of your grade. The two quizzes together are therefore 10% of your grade. See the schedule below for the dates and topic coverage of each exam. 1. Group Project Paper & Presentation. Each group should consist of six students. The group project has two elements: (1) a written paper submitted to me and (2) an oral presentation to me and the class that summarizes the key points from the paper. The group project (both paper and presentation considered together) is 15% of your grade. Grading

There are five graded activities: class participation, two exams, response papers, quizzes and the group project. Each of the five activities will be graded on an A to F scale using the following standards: AWork is of outstanding quality. It shows that you...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free