1. Who wrote Oedipus the King?
2. In which Greek city did Oedipus live in with his adopted parents? 3. What are the names of Oedipus’ adopted parents?
4. What does the name Oedipus mean?
5. Where is the place where Oedipus kills his father?
Bonus Q. What are the names of Oedipus’ 2 daughters?
1. Name Oedipus’ real parents.
2. Where is the play set (place and city)?
3. What was the answer to the riddle of the Sphinx?
4. Who is the God of Healing?
5. What problem was Thebes facing when the play begun.
Bonus Q. Who is the God of Greek cities?
1. When Oedipus was a baby where was he left to die?
2. Why did Oedipus leave his city and his adopted parents?
3. Who says this: “Destiny guide me always”.
4. What is the name of the blind prophet?
5. What does the prophet accuse Oedipus of?
Bonus Q: When was this play written (which century)?
1. Who said these words: “Nothing can penetrate the future”. 2. Who is the third in line to the throne in Thebes?
3. How did Jocasta say killed Laius?
4. Towards the end of the play who is the key witness that they are searching for? 5. How does Jocasta kill herself?
Bonus Q: Describe exactly what the Sphinx is?
1. Who said: “Time is a great healer, you will see.”
2. Why does Oedipus choose not to commit suicide but to live on 3. What did the Sphinx do to anyone who couldn’t solve the riddle? 4. What does Oedipus threaten to do to the Sheppard if he doesn’t tell the truth? 5. Who does Oedipus call down curses on? (3 different people). Bonus Q: What is the last line in the play?
1. Oedipus says: “So I will fight for him as if he were my father.” Who is he talking about? 2. Who delivers Apollo’s oracle about the plague.
3. Who tells Oedipus that he is not Polybius’ son, which forces him to leave his father? 4. How did Oedipus become King of Thebes?
5. How many children did Oedipus have?
Bonus: Where is...