* Fired for cause:
* Usually for personal matters- issues with boss, showing up late, etc over technical issues
* Theory- helps to explain or simplify complicated phenomenon- it explains what might happen
* Model- a theoretical structure of how something works – the PMR process- simplifying the complicating phenomenon
* Explanation of what has happened and what might happen
* Good theory characteristics:
* Predictability – it should give us the basis of what will happen- forecast
* Consistency- should work in different places, etc- should be consistent today, tomorrow, next week and next year- from one time to another time
* Universal- moving from place to place- from one scenario to another
* Practicality- the theory needs to be useable – have to have practicality
* Theory- a way of simplification to the complicated world- developing and testing hypothesis and validating theory
* Woodrow Wilson- President during WWI- 1st article that acknowledges administration as a study- taking an academic approach and looking at in very theoretical terms
* Born in Stauton, VA (1st municipality to have a city manager in this country )- went to UVA- law degree- became an attorney- then went back and got his PhD- dissertation: wanted more power to Congress and less power to President (did the opposite when he was president)-- he was a progressive (wanted to improve) – abolished all of the eating clubs (fraternities and sororities/ failed)- he did get everyone upset at him—became governor of NJ (after the people are Princeton was trying to get him out) – tried to get him to run for president in 1912 to get rid of him as the governor- Wilson became president because the other party was divided
* LA has no city managers (only state)
* Wrote article in 1887- civil service was a big deal- prohibition is gaining momentum (not... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 10). Public Administration Notes. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Public-Administration-Notes-1185343.html
"Public Administration Notes" StudyMode.com. 10 2012. 2012. 10 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Public-Administration-Notes-1185343.html>.
- MLA 7
"Public Administration Notes." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2012. Web. 10 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Public-Administration-Notes-1185343.html>.
"Public Administration Notes." StudyMode.com. 10, 2012. Accessed 10, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Public-Administration-Notes-1185343.html.