Naphthalene Ball in Water
In this experiment, we will determine if the naphthalene can be dissolve in water or not. And what will happen in the filter paper if we stick it in the funnel and let it absorbed the fumes in the boiling water with powdered naphthalene.
Mortar and pestle
1. white crystalline compound
2. has a strong odor
3. round shape
4. it weighs .23g (2 pcs.)
1. After grinding the two pieces of naphthalene balls, we put it in the evaporating dish with water and stirred it and placed it in the tripod and heat it. The funnel with filter paper served as the lid of the evaporating dish. 2. The filter paper filtered the fumes that coming out from the boiling water. 3. While the water is boiling you can hear a sound (like a sound while frying something) 4. When we remove the mixture on the heat. The powdered naphthalene became a big crystal. 5. The filter paper filtered some crystallized naphthalene. It formed during the water is boiling.
Our group conclude that, the naphthalene ball does not dissolve easily in water/boiling water, but still it go back to its natural form. It became a big crystal. Naphthalene ball dissolve by means of air. It evaporates. Copper wire with Nitric Acid
In this experiment, we’re going to find what will happen if we put the piece of copper wire in the Nitric Acid. And what type of reaction will occur.
Test tube rack
Test tube holder
1. The color of the Nitric Acid is similar in the color of the water. 2. When transferring the acid to another container it becomes hot and produces colorless smoke, suffocating and corrosive. 3. When the copper wire touches the liquid, which is the Nitric Acid, the acid changed in different color. 4. The liquid bubbled and brown fumes came out and the white acid turns to greenish color. 5. The brown fumes have an irritating odor.
6. While on the process of chemical reaction the liquid substance in the test tube are coming out. 7. About 3=5 mins. The fumes disappear and the copper wire dissolves in the acid.
|Materials | |Color |After the procedure | |Copper wire |1.5 g, 2 inches |Reddish-brown color |It dissolve in the acid | |Nitric Acid |20ml |Clear white color |It turns greenish to dark green |
Our group concludes, that in this experiment in copper and nitric acid, we can say that the Nitric Acid is not only a strong acid, it is an oxidizing agent. This acid melts the copper wire within a minute. It is highly corrosive and poisonous. The reactions between copper and nitric acid are examples of oxidation-reduction reactions, where gaining electrons reduces one element and losing them oxidizes the other.
Silver Coin with Nitric Acid
In this experiment with the silver coin and Nitric Acid, we will find out what will happen if we add the silver coin in the acid.
1. The color of the Nitric Acid is similar in the color of the water. 2. When transferring the acid to another container it becomes hot and produces colorless smoke, suffocating and corrosive. 3. When the silver coin touches the liquid, which is the Nitric Acid, the acid changed in different color. 4. The liquid bubbled and brown fumes came out and the white acid turns to greenish color. 5. The brown fumes have...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document