Ethics & Professional Issues
Information Systems Development
What is Ethics?
* The discipline dealing with what is good & bad & with moral duty & obligation * Individual human opinions and beliefs
* Hard to define
“most of our moral responses seem to be more a matter of intuitions and feelings than of reasoning and logical deduction – we are not always the rational creatures we would like to be” Gross, (1996) What is Computer Ethics?
* Analysis of the nature & social impact of computer technology and the corresponding formulation & justification of policies for the ethical use of such technologies * “ethics for computing professionals is ethical rules & judgements applied in a computing context based on professional standards & a concern for the use of the computing product”
What is professionalism?
* To meet standards set by a professional body in terms of individual conduct, competence & integrity * A commitment to interests of all end-users and other stakeholders Computer Ethics
Special Responsibilities Facing Computer Professionals and Users * Maintaining relationships with and responsibilities toward customers, clients, coworkers, employees, and employers. * Making critical decisions that have significant consequences for many people. * Determining how to manage, select, or use computers in a professional setting. Professional Codes
ACM and IEEE CS
* Software Engineering Code of Ethics and Professional Practice ACM
* ACM Code of Ethics
Ethical Behaviors Expected of the Computer Professional:
* Honest and fair; respects confidentiality; maintains professional competence; understands relevant laws; respects and protection of personal privacy; avoids harming others; and respects property rights. Ethical Views
* Ethical Views...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document