1. What was Iago's complaint in Scene I?
2. Who was Brabantio, and why did Iago and Roderigo awaken him in the middle of the night?
3. Why did Iago leave Roderigo at Brabantio's house?
4. What was Brabantio's reaction to Othello's marriage to Desdemona?
5. Why did the Duke send for Othello?
6. Brabantio complains to the Duke about Othello's marriage to Desdemona. After listening to both sides of the story, what was the Duke's reply?
7. What was Roderigo's complaint, and what was Iago's reply to it?
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUIZ QUESTIONS
Write your answers out in paragraph form with evidence from the text Act 1
1. What was Iago's complaint in Scene 1?
A. Another officer of the same rank was receiving higher pay. B. Roderigo cheated during a card game and won.
C. Cassio got the promotion that he wanted.
D. He doesn't like the new uniforms that Othello has chosen. He thinks they make the soldiers look like weak women.
2. Who was Brabantio?
A. He was Othello's ensign.
B. He was the previous governor.
C. He was the squadron commander.
D. He was a senator and Desdemona's father.
3. Why did Iago and Roderigo awaken Brabantio in the middle of the night? A. His wife was seriously ill.
B. A marriage was taking place that involved his family.
C. Thieves had destroyed his fields and orchards.
D. There was a plot to murder him that night as he slept.
4. True or False: Iago left Roderigo at Brabantio's house because he didn't want to be seen as being against Othello.
5. What was Brabantio's reaction to Othello's marriage to Desdemona? A. He was joyful and wished them well.
B. He remained impartial.
C. He was outraged.
D. He was not please personally but thought it was good politically.
6. Why did the Duke send for Othello?
A. The Duke wanted to know which soldiers to promote.
B. The Duke wanted to send Othello to Ottoman to fight.
C. The Duke wanted to give Othello a medal for heroism from his last campaign. D. The Duke wanted to congratulate him on his marriage.
7. Brabantio complains to the Duke about Othello's marriage to Desdemona. After listening to both sides of the story, what was the Duke's reply?
A. He agrees to annul the marriage.
B. He remains impartial, saying a man's personal life is his own business. C. He reprimands Brabantio for being a petty gossip and troublemaker. D. He says he thinks Othello would win his daughter under the same circumstances, and tells Brabantio to make the best of the situation.
8. What was Roderigo's complaint?
A. He was passed over for a promotion.
B. He was love sick and depressed over Desdemona's marriage. C. He wanted to go and fight with Othello's army, but was told to remain at home. D. He didn't think the Duke was aggressive enough in his stand against the Ottoman Empire.
9. What was Iago's reply to Roderigo's complaint?
A. He told Roderigo to straighten up and act like a soldier. B. He told Roderigo to forgive and forget.
C. He told Roderigo they would work together for revenge.
D. He told Roderigo to pray to the gods for guidance, then to do whatever they suggested
____ 1. Bianca A.Tells of the letters found in Roderigo's pockets ____ 2. Emilia B. Othello's wife
____ 3. Desdemona C. The jealous Moor ____ 4. Roderigo D. Iago's wife
____ 5. Iago E. Brother of Brabantio ____ 6. Cassio F. Cassio's mistress
____ 7. Othello G. Desdemona's father ____ 8. Lodovico H. He was passed over for a promotion ____ 9. Gratiano I. Othello thought he was having an affair with Desdemona ____ 10. Brabantio J. He is love-sick for Desdemona
Quotations: Explain in detail the significance of the following quotations. 1. I am not what...