In order to obtain optimal health, it is critical to eat a healthy and balanced diet. Becoming knowledgeable about how to evaluate the nutritional value of what you eat may greatly increase your ability to improve your health and wellness.
In this two-part worksheet, you critique a recipe for nutritional value and respond to two short answer questions about nutrition. Completing this assignment is a step towards gaining the knowledge needed to better manage your nutrition.
Part 1: Critique a Meal
For this part of the assignment, you critique the nutritional value of a meal. You will select this meal from the USDA website.
Follow the instructions below:
• Access the USDA website at www.choosemyplate.gov
• Roll your cursor over the heading Healthy Eating Tips. • Choose Sample Menus and Recipes from the drop down box. • Click on Food Groups Recipes.
• Select one of the 15 recipe choices to critique.
Review the nutritional information provided for the recipe you selected or added and answer the questions below.
1. What is the name of the recipe you are evaluating?
Frozen Fruit Cups
2. Which essential nutrients—ccarbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals—are included in the recipe? \ Carbohydrates, Vitamins/Minerals
3. Which ingredients are providing each nutrient?
Bananas, Yogurt, Strawberries, Pineapples – Carbohydrates, Vitamins/Minerals
4. Does this recipe include a good balance of essential nutrients? Explain your answer. No, you need fats and proteins along with carbohydrate and vitamins/minerals.
5. How could the recipe be altered to include more essential nutrients? By adding nuts for protein or adding peanut butter to the mixture. Adding the peanut butter will bring fat and protein.
6. Do you consider this a healthy meal? If not, what is a healthy alternative? Yes, for my...