Managing Records in Records Centres
Key Activities in Records and Archives Management
implementing and maintaining preservation measures *
developing and testing emergency plans to protect records *
controlled temperature and humidity
adequate shelving for all records
adequate storage containers, such as boxes and file folders *
secure access to storage areas to prevent loss or damage to records
Organising and controlling records in the office environment
THE STEPS INVOLVED IN ORGANISING AND CONTROLLING CURRENT RECORDS * Analysing and restructuring records systems
* Maintaining records systems
* Developing and implementing classification systems
* Developing and implementing records schedules
* Appraising records and retaining those with continuing value while disposing of non-current records.
* Developing and maintaining offsite facilities
* Transferring, storing and retrieving records according to disposal schedules * Disposing of archival or obsolete records.
* acquiring and receiving archives
* appraising records according to the appropriate disposal schedule * cleaning and tidying records to be transferred to archival care * inserting dummies to replace missing or withheld items * labelling items with dates and reference numbers
* boxing records
* listing records
* completing an accession form
* arranging and describing archives according to archival principles and practices * providing public access to archives
Providing physical protection for records
the development of co-ordinated information management programmes 2.
the elimination of duplication of services
improved accessibility to and use of information and records 4.
reduced expenses for records management services
the ultimate preservation of
Please join StudyMode to read the full document