BIO 341 Homework #2
1. A chromosome about to start mitosis is made of two sister chromatids. In what stage of the cell cycle were those sister chromatids made? When do they become visible and distinguishable by light microscopy?
2. For each of the events in mitotic phase, give the stage of mitotic phase in which it occurs The nuclear membrane breaks down during _______________________. Chromosomes have reached the equator of the cell during _______________________. The connection between the sisters breaks during _______________________. Chromatin condenses into visible chromosomes during _______________________. Sister chromatids are pulled away from each other during _______________________. Chromosomes disperse to chromatin form again during _______________________. Nuclear membrane reforms during _______________________.
The mitotic spindle assembles during _______________________. Chromosomes move toward the equator of the cell during _______________________. Spindle fibers grow and attach to chromosomes during _______________________.
3. What is the purpose of spindle structure in mitosis? Where do they connect to the chromosome?
4. What stage of the cell cycle comes after telophase of mitosis?
5. What stage of meiosis is the most like anaphase of mitosis?
A. The amount of DNA in a gamete is ______ times the amount of DNA in a cell in G1 of the cell cycle.
B. The amount of DNA in a gamete is ______ times the amount of DNA in a cell in G2 of the cell cycle. C. The number of chromosomes in a gamete is _____ times the number of chromosomes in a cell in G2 of the cell cycle
7. The domestic dog has a diploid number of 78 (in other words, 2n = 78). A. How many chromosomes are there in a dog gamete? ________
B. How many pairs of homologs does a dog have? ________
8. The following are events that occur in meiosis. For each name the stage in which it occurs. Remember to specify I or II.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document