Media Key words, Concepts, theories and generally everything you could possibly need to pass the exam… except the actual answer…
• Camera Shots:
*extreme close up (parts of face)
*big close up (most of face)
*close up (face)
*medium close up (shoulders up...)
*medium long shot
*very long shot
• Camera angles:
*low angle shot (looking up)
*high angle shot (looking down)
*birds eye view
*black and white
*still or moving?
• Polysemic (many meanings)
• Denotation (what it is)
• Connotation (what it means)
• Rule of thirds
• What or who?
• Old, new, rebranding?
*(links closely to ideology, don’t get mixed up)
• Broadcast fiction:
• Audience groupings:
*socio economic groupings
(define people by job and social standing)
1. A –- higher managerial, admin / professional (barristers, business owners, judges) 2. B - Intermediate managerial, admin / professional (teachers) 3. C1 - office worker
4. C2 – plumbers, hands on jobs
5. D – semiskilled and unskilled (fox’s biscuits, factory workers) 6. E – Unemployed (students, pensioners, unemployed)
(define people by beliefs or values)
1. survivors / mainstreamers
2. social climbers / aspirers
3. care givers / carers
4. explorers / discoverers
• Alternative media (Channel 4)
• PSB (public service broadcast) (BBC)
• Formal / proper
• Entertainment through action (paramount)
• Codes of conduct
• Text included in a piece of media
• Circular narrative
• Closed narrative
• Barthes Action Code:
*states that audiences can relate to texts through their own cultural experiences e.g. falling in love etc.
• Barthes Enigma Code theory:
* states that plots need mysteries that are eventually solved. *states that plots need enigmas that are finally solved to delay the ending.
*Women want equality in general e.g. equal rights, equal pay
*There are different types of feminists
1. Radical feminists
Blame men for their dominance over women
a. Family causes problems of exploitation (don’t want to be the “wife/weak woman” figure)
b. want matriarchal society (women superiority)
2. Marxist socialist feminists
a. Blame inequality on capitalism e.g. money, pay, maternity leave
b. Still believe in the “family”
3. Liberal feminists
a. Just want to be equal but aren’t extreme.
*Feminists believe that women are portrayed as one of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document