1. Multinational enterprises (MNEs) are firms that:
d. All of the above.
2. Which of the following best describes foreign direct investment (FDI)?
A firm’s direct investment in production and/or service activities abroad.
3. Which of the following best defines “Triad” as the term is used in the text?
North America, Europe, and Japan.
4. According to the text, the current brand of “global strategy” seems relevant only for MNEs from: b. The Triad.
5. Emerging economies (or emerging markets):
A and B above
6. BRIC refers to:
Brazil, Russia, India, and China
7. Many BRIC local firms are:
d. All of the above
8. Which of the following is NOT true of the industrial organization (IO) economics model? d. All of the above are NOT true.
9. Which of the following tends to reduce the intensity of rivalry? e. None of the above.
10. Which of the following would tend to reduce the bargaining power of suppliers? d. Unwillingness and inability of suppliers to integrate forward.
11. Which of the follow would tend to reduce the bargaining power of buyers? e. All of the above.
12. Which of the following are true concerning cost leadership? d. All of the above.
13. Which is a reason for integration as opposed to outsourcing? e. All of the above.
14. An industry-based view provides some answers to which of the following questions?
d. What determines the international success and failure of firms?
15. A firm’s
are its tangible and intangible assets a firm uses to choose and implement its strategies. c. Core competencies
16. According to the text, which of the following are intangible resources and capabilities? e. None of the above.
17. International outsourcing involves:
c. A and B above.
18. Having valuable, but common resources/capabilities leads to: d. Competitive disadvantage.
19. Ways to imitate include:
c. A and B above.
20. Taking advantage of strengths embodied in resources/capabilities and overcome weaknesses deals with which fundamental question? a. Why do firms differ?
21. Which of the following is better performed in-house instead of being outsourced? c. An industry-specific and firm-specific (proprietary) activity.
22. The VRIO framework does not include capabilities and resources that are: e. All of the above.
23. Examining whether a firm has resources and capabilities to perform a particular activity in a manner superior to competitors is known as
in SWOT analysis. b. Competition
24. If Company A and Company B both have valuable assets that are identical, the text indicates that in order for A to gain a competitive advantage over B, A must: e. All of the above.
25. Tacit knowledge is probably the most
e. All of the above
26. Which of the following defines institutions?
f. “Humanly devised constraints that structure human interaction.”
27. Institutions do which of the following?
j. All of the above.
28. How do institutions reduce uncertainty?
29. Which are true regarding informal constraints?
j. None of the above.
30. Power distance is best defined as:
a. The degree of social inequality.
31. Long-term orientation is best defined as:
e. Emphasis on perseverance and savings.
AACSB: Tier 1: Analytic; Tier 2: Group Dynamics
32. Which tends to be true of masculine cultures?
h. Stereotypical manager is decisive.
33. Which is the instrumental view regarding motivation to become ethical? b. Be self-motivated to “do it right” regardless of social pressures.
34. Ethical imperialism is best expressed by which of the following: a. “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”
35. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) bans:
g. Bribery to foreign officials by companies based in the U.S.
36. Which best defines an accommodative strategy?
Firms do not...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document