Meetings are ... when, Minutes are kept, and Hours are wasted !
Managing Effective Meetings
FCMA, Dip. M (UK), FSCMA, MBA (Merit)
What are the Critical Aspects to ‘focus’ on, if one is to conduct an effective meeting ?
Key Areas for a Successful Meeting
• Why meet ? Is a meeting essential ? • Planning the meeting • Role and importance of an ‘Agenda’ • Role of the ‘Chair’ of the meeting • Making ‘Minutes’ more meaningful and useful • Encouraging member participation • Managing Conflict during meetings
• Importance of follow up
Planning a Meeting
• Why are we meeting (Objectives)
• Who should attend ?
• Where and When should it be held ? • How much time should be allocated for the meeting ? • How should it be followed up ?
• Give participants adequate notice of the meeting
• Circulate the Agenda before the meeting for participants to be informed of the content and prepare adequately
Importance of an Agenda
• Provides a basis/guide for the progress of the meeting
• Allows participants to come adequately prepared
• Allows the meeting to finish within the allocated time
• You may discuss any additional matters (very briefly) under ‘AOB’ - Any Other Business, at the end meeting • If there is any significant AOB that needs lengthy discussion summon a separate meeting for that; Do not prolong the current meeting with such matters
Role of the ‘Chair’
• Be very clear as to the Purpose of the meeting
• Plan the meeting / Circulate the agenda on time
• Direct the discussion of the meeting towards logical conclusions / decisions (without letting it get dragged on) • Positively manage any ‘conflict’ that may arise • Ensure decisions/outcomes are minuted and are circulated on a timely manner • Ensure follow up action is initiated to implement decisions/agreements
• Appoint a person for this responsibility
• Narrative Minutes V Action Minutes
• Action Minutes: 3Ws -...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document