Science in the Supermarket
Know the meanings of the terms atom, proton, neutron, electron, nucleus, atomic number, mass number. Know the names and symbols for the first 20 elements of the Periodic Table.
• Be able to explain the model for an atom and arrange electrons into shells
• Be able to recognise the different groups and metals / non-metals on the periodic table.
• Be able to write symbols for elements and simple word equations
• To know a few common chemical formula.
• Be able to discuss acids, bases, pH and indicators.
• Be able to describe the different food groups and their uses and describe the food tests.
Atoms.... and other stuff!
• Use the Periodic Table to identify an element as a metal or non metal • Recall names and formulae of the first 20 elements and the other elements studied during this topic • Recall the properties of metals and recognize common metals • Recall the structure of an atom
• Define the terms atomic number and mass number
• Calculate the number of electrons, protons and neutrons of atoms and ions using the Periodic Table as a tool
• Write the electron configuration for any of the first 20 elements ( atoms and ions ) • Explain why and how atoms form ions
• Use the table of ions to write formulae for ionic compounds • Name ionic compounds when given ionic formulae
Classify compounds as ionic or molecular using their formulae
Please join StudyMode to read the full document