1. The speeches that Antony and Brutus gave at the funeral are both:
2. From the events in the play, one can determine that the political mood and behavior of the Roman populace can best be termed-
a. unswervingly patriotic and firm
b. discontented and angry
c. cowardly and timid
d. fickle and changeable
3. Which of the following words describes Cassius?
d. none of the above.
4. Why do the conspirators want Brutus to be their leader?
a. Brutus is clear-headed and shrewd
b. Brutus will be a popular leader for the Roman people
c. Brutus’s reputation will bring respect to their cause
d. Cassius and the other conspirators are timid and indecisive people
5. Which of the following is the BEST example of dramatic irony?
a. Brutus thinks that many citizens of Rome have sent him letters
b. Caesar believes he is surrounded by friends and says to Cinna, Metellus, and Trebonius, “Good friends, go in and taste some wine with me/ and we (like friends) will straight away go together.”
c. Caesar says, “What can be avoided/ Whose end is purposed by the mighty gods.”
d. Caesar falls in death at the base of Pompey’s statue.
6. Why is Cassius NOT considered a tragic hero?
a. He is greedy and dishonest rather than noble.
b. He is a cowardly soldier rather than a brave one.
c. His death is not sad because he wanted to die.
d. He feels guilty because he knows the murder of Caesar was wrong.
7. Which two words does Antony repeat in the funeral oration?
a. ambitious and honorable
b. Roman and freedom-loving
c. benevolent and kind
d. ambitious and tyrant
8. The first months of the joint reign of Antony, Lepidus, and young Octavius are marked by
a. constant battles
b. a return to democratic rule
c. squabbles with Roman citizens
d. bloody purges of notable Romans
9. The appearance of Caesar’s ghost is an example of
10. At the beginning of Act V, why does Cassius think he is going to die that day?
a. because he knows it is his birthday
b. because he has seen bad omens
c. because he understands Antony
d. because he is afraid of Brutus
11. Which of the following characters commits suicide?
d. all of the above
12. Whether alive or dead, the character who is viewed with the greatest respect by all the other characters is
13. Which of the following statements best expresses the theme of Julius Caesar?
a. Mercy to the losing faction is more noble than vengeance.
b. Individuals can affect events even from beyond the grave.
c. Good consequences cannot result from an evil deed.
d. Philosophy is not much help in times of great crisis.
14. Through their acts and discussions, both sides of the war are shown to have
a. sincere regard for the welfare of the state
b. no other desire than for total power and victory.
c. both worthy and unworthy motives and desires.
d. a deep respect for each other and a concern for Rome’s welfare.
15. What convinces Brutus that he should not have killed Caesar?
a. Antony’s speeches
b. Cassisus’s death
c. Portia’s death
d. Caesar’s ghost
Part Three: Short Answer (31-35). Choose 4 of the following questions and answer each in 2-5 complete sentences. Answers that are not in complete sentences will not receive full credit
a.Describe Marc Antony. Make sure you discuss the positive and negative sides of his character.
b.Think about Caesar the mortal man as opposed to Caesar the public figure. How does he continue to wield power over events even after he is dead? Do the conspirators succeed in...