Cracking the Code of Life Questions
Write a Reflection on the video segments. Incorporate the points below in your reflection.
1. Instructions for a Human Being
• Explain the storybook metaphor
• DNA’s 4 billion years of history
• DNA – structure, chemical makeup, function
2. Getting the Letters Out
• Goal of the Human Genome Project
• Explain the use of technology
3. One Wrong Letter
• What is Tay Sachs?
• Explain the term “carrier.
4. The Sequencing Race Begins
• Explain: Automated DNA-reading process
• Role of Celera Genomics in the HGP
5. Ramping Up
• Is the HGP a necessary public investment? Explain. 6. Genetic Variation
• How similar are humans?
• Sharing genes with a banana … Explain.
7. Who Owns the Genome?
• Discuss arguments for and against patenting the genomic code. • The effects of patenting on drug companies
8. The Business of Science
• Who is “profiting” from the genome?
• Describe the more recent changes in the views of the scientific community. 9. Finding Cures is Hard
• What is cystic fibrosis (CF)?
• Explain HOW Genes determine Proteins.
• HOW does the 3-dimensional structure of a protein affect its function? 10. Complexity in Proteins
• What is a proteome?
11. The Finish Line
• Discuss the new beginning and direction in science
12. Finding Disease Genes
• Scientific processes involved in identifying genes for traits like baldness • Explain: "Iceland -All in the family."
• Use of DeCODE's giant DNA database
13. DNA Databases
• What is GATTACA?
• Gene chips and newborns?
14. A family Disease
• Discuss the mutations BRCA1 and 2
15. Genetic Modification
• Enhancing your kids- pros and cons
• Safety of genetically modified foods
• Explain some concerns about GMO
16. Contemplating the Message
• Again " Who owns the Genome?"...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document