General Purpose: To Inform
Specific Purpose: To inform the class about the culture, lifestyle and experiences that Hawaii has to offer.
Thesis:From that amazing weather to the friendly islanders, Hawaii is a great place to learn about and visit.
A. Attention Getter:I don’t know about you guys, but I know for me come late February the nasty Michigan winters have definitely gotten the best of me, this is also about the time I would love to run away to one of the beautiful Hawaiian islands.
B. Reason to Listen:Learning about others cultures will broaden ones horizon and knowledge; also being aware of what Hawaii has to offer may inspire you to take a trip there in the future.
C. Thesis Statement: From that amazing weather to the friendly islanders, Hawaii is a great place to learn about and visit.
D. Credibility Statement:
1. I have traveled to Hawaii three times now and have experience first hand all the things Hawaii has to offer to all visitors.
2. Ever since my last trip, I have become fascinated with the state and the Hawaiian culture, which has motivated me to do more research to gain more knowledge about the Hawaiian ways.
E. Preview of Main Points:
1. First, I will talk to you about some of the unique site seeing places.
2. Second, I will talk to you about the Hawaiian language.
3. Finally, I will preview some of the many activities and attractions offered to tourist that travel to Hawaii.
II. From the beautifully warm weather to the all the kind hearted people, Hawaii a wonderful place to research and visit.
A. Hawaii has several different unique site seeing places that Hawaii has to offer that several other states do not.
1. One of the longest standing monuments in Hawaii is the Aloha tower.
a. According to the book “Beautiful Hawaii” the Aloha tower was built in 1926 to hail the visitors at Honolulu Harbor, since travel to the Island at the time was entirely done by sea.
b. In addition to the tower being a hail to the visitors according to the “Beautiful Hawaii” book the Aloha tower was the tallest building in all of Hawaii for four decades.
c. Also on last face that came from the book “Beautiful Hawaii” is that when the Aloha tower was installed in 1926 it was one of the largest clocks in the United States and it has an observation deck on the 10th floor.
2. Another place that several tourists like to visit in Hawaii is the Honolulu Academy of Arts.
a. The Honolulu Academy of Arts was chartered in 1922 by Mrs. Charles Montague Cook, who desired to share he love of art with the children of Hawaii, which is also stated in the book of “Beautiful Hawaii”
b. Since the doors have opened on April 8,1927, the academy has steadily grown to become Hawaii’s largest private presenter of visual arts programs.
c. The academy holds 38,000 works of art from cultures around the world.
3. One last place that many tourist visit while in Hawaii is the Hawaii Theater.
a. The theater was built in 1922 as a showplace for plays musicals and silent films as mention in the book “Beautiful Hawaii”
b. Shortly after opening the theater shut down for unknown reasons and re-opened in April 1996 as a multi-purpose state- of- the art performance center for all of Hawaii to enjoy.
c. The theater is listed on both State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Transition: Now that I have discussed some of the unique sites that Hawaii has to offer, I will inform you about the Hawaiian language.
B. You may think that just because Hawaii is part of the United States that the population would speak English but that is another unique thing about the islands, the islanders speak Hawaiian.
1. The Hawaiian...