* Research in Psychology as in all fields of science has two focuses of interest.
* Basic Research = is concern with the quest for knowledge regardless of whether it has immediate practical value.
* Applied Research = seeks to improve the human condition by discovering something that can be put to practical used.
* When the scientist work, strive to find relationships between observable variables. For example, Robert Boyle found a direct relationship between the temperature of a gas and its volume under certain conditions.
* By knowing one, the other can be predicted
* By manipulating one, the other can be controlled.
* But psychologists use several methods of relating variables to predict, control, and understand behavior.
How do psychologist work? What methods do they use
* As with all science, psychology is interested in discovering a new information that can be verified by other researchers. The methods that psychologists use include: experimental method, observational, survey, test method and case histories.
* Experimental Method = is the most widely used of scientific ways of getting information. The method can be used outside the Laboratory as well as inside under controlled conditions.
* The experimental method is a matter of Logic, not of location
* However, most of the experimentation takes place in “special laboratories” chiefly because
* The control conditions commonly require special equipment that is best housed and used in one place.
* Variable = one of the varying factors being studied in experimental or other research
* Independent variable = this is the factor under experimental control to which the changes being studied are related because we change it independently
* Dependent variable =depends on these changes under investigation.
* The experimenter, before making any actual observation defines and analyzes the problem under consideration... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 07). How Is Research Used in Psychology. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/How-Is-Research-Used-In-Psychology-1825247.html
"How Is Research Used in Psychology" StudyMode.com. 07 2013. 2013. 07 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/How-Is-Research-Used-In-Psychology-1825247.html>.
- MLA 7
"How Is Research Used in Psychology." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2013. Web. 07 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/How-Is-Research-Used-In-Psychology-1825247.html>.
"How Is Research Used in Psychology." StudyMode.com. 07, 2013. Accessed 07, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/How-Is-Research-Used-In-Psychology-1825247.html.