History: Shell in Pakistan

Only available on StudyMode
  • Topic: Royal Dutch Shell, Oil and gas companies of the United Kingdom, Supermajor
  • Pages : 4 (795 words )
  • Download(s) : 172
  • Published : December 9, 2012
Open Document
Text Preview
Shell History in Pakistan

The documented history of Royal Dutch Shell plc in Indo Pakistan subcontinent dates back to 1903 when partnership was struck between The Shell Transport & Trading Company and the Royal Dutch Petroleum Company to supply petroleum to Asia.

In 1928, to enhance their distribution capabilities, the marketing interest of Royal Dutch Shell plc and the Burmah Oil Company Limited in India were merged and Burmah Shell Oil Storage & Distribution Company of India was born. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the name was changed to the Burmah Shell Oil Distribution Company of Pakistan. In 1970, when 51% of the shareholding was transferred to Pakistani investors, the name of changed to Pakistan Burmah Shell (PBS) Limited. The Shell and the Burmah Groups retained the remaining 49% in equal propositions. In February of 1993, as economic liberalization began to take root and the Burmah divested from PBS, Shell Petroleum stepped into raise its stake to 51%. The years 2011-12 have seen the Shell Petroleum Company successively increasing its share, with the Group now having a 76% stake in Shell Pakistan Ltd (SPL)- an expression of confidence.

Mission & vision Statement

Manager of Shell in Islamabad defined the mission statement of Shell Petroleum Pakistan as:

“Our aim is to meet the energy needs of society, in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally viable, now and in the future.”

Shell constantly achieving operational excellence, conducting their business in a safe, environmentally sustainable and economically optimum manner, employing a diverse, innovative and results-oriented team motivated to deliver excellence[i]. Obviously, an organization’s main purpose is meeting its profit requirement, so Shell wants to meet the energy needs of the society with high financial performance.

Accounting Period

The director of the company presents their annual report together with audited accounts for the accounting...
tracking img