1. Nobility – Maharlika
2. Freemen – Timawa
3. Serfs – Aliping namamahay
4. Slaves – Aliping sagigilid
- A unit of social organization that is broader than the family’s political, economic and religious features.
- exercise all the powers of government including the religious power
- he is assisted by the Pandays and Babaylans together with the council of elders in instituting reforms and development.
Judicial process (composed of the council of elders)
- arbitration is the common ways of resolving disputes
- Public trial (“May the crocodile eat me if I tell a lie. May the lightning strike me if I tell my falsehood”).
- Trial by ordeal – to show that God with His infinite wisdom, protect the innocent and punish the guilty (e.g., ordeal by wrestling or “bultong” in fugao)
- people worship according to the dictate of their conscience. The priest (Katalona) or the Priestesses (Babaylan) performed sacrifices. Example: Canao
Economic and standard of living
- agriculture and trade
- Father trained his son to be hunters, builders, etc.
- Mother trained her daughter do household task.
End of the reconquestas (wars against the moors) 1492
• Paved the way for the great voyages including the discovery of the New World (America) for Spain
• Purtagal and Spain – two keen rivals in colonizing new lands because of gold, spices, and other merchandise found in the orient, as well as their religious zeal to proselyte the native.
• Pope Alexander VI – issued a “papal bull” or “Inter Caetera”, a decree to settle the rivalry giving the west to Spanish zone for exploration and all lands East to Portugal.
• Magellan (Portuguese) – conceived the idea of a passage to the west or around south America to reach Moluccas or Spice Islands following the wind... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 07). Fsdfsdf. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Fsdfsdf-1858010.html
"Fsdfsdf" StudyMode.com. 07 2013. 2013. 07 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Fsdfsdf-1858010.html>.
- MLA 7
"Fsdfsdf." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2013. Web. 07 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Fsdfsdf-1858010.html>.
"Fsdfsdf." StudyMode.com. 07, 2013. Accessed 07, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Fsdfsdf-1858010.html.