Film Assignment, “Nova Becoming Human Episode 1: First Steps”
The following assignment is based on the film “Becoming Human Episode 1: First Steps.” You may access the film in the following ways: 1. It is available for free on the PBS website at the following address: http://video.pbs.org/video/1312522241/
2. It is available instantly through Netflix (where you may temporarily set up a free account for a few weeks if you are not a member).
Please use complete sentences to answer the following questions and type your answers on this form. You should submit this assignment to the “First Steps” dropbox using the “Assignments” tab by Sun 4/1 at 11:59 P.M. Please submit this file as a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file. Please do not use the “.pages” extension because PCs cannot open it.
1. Where is the Afar located?
Afar is one of the nine Regional States of Ethiopia and is located in north eastern Africa. It is a part of the great rift valley (deep cut in earth where geological forces are ripping Africa apart).
2. How did researchers figure out how old the “Selam” fossil was?
Clues to the age of the fossil came from key features in the landscape; such as the white bands of volcanic ash that dated 3.4 million years ago. If the white bands of volcanic ash are 3.4 million years old then the fossil must be younger because it was found above it. Therefore, the fossil was approximately 3.3 million years old.
3. How did researchers figure out how old the fossil child Selam was when she died? How old was she?
Researchers looked at Selam's teeth in order to find out how old she was when she died. They did not look at the baby teeth that were visible in her jaw; they looked her adult teeth that were growing inside the bone. From that observation researchers know Selam died when she was three years old.
4. What are the human-like components of the “Lucy” skeleton? What are the ape-like components?...